View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
ok, so until you have the DM webserver running if we arent at the same location, the only way to really do this, is to use the cloud, is that correct?
Correct.

Quote:
I guess i was imagining a server running on the DMs side if they didnt use the cloud. Or some form of shared file, and not assuming a second monitor.
If I'm understanding correctly, you're basically thinking that we would implement a complete, standalone server to run on the GM's machine that includes all the logic for doing everything within Realm Works. This is a capability that few GMs would have the technical know-how to setup in the first place. And if we did that for only $35, the support costs alone would consume at least $35 per installation, on average, leaving us with no way to recover the initial investment in the product or even continue development from here. That's an untenable model, since everyone working on the project expects us to pay their salary every month.

Quote:
It seems to me that since a big portion of realms works is exposing content, not just organizing content, then the cloud becomes essential, not just optional.
That really depends. Based on a variety of comments on the Kickstarter, many GMs only care about organizing and managing the material for themselves. The sharing of content is only of concern to them during the game session, in which case the existing Player View mechanisms are all they need or want. Roughly one-third of the Kickstarter backers have opted for no cloud, which seems to support this assertion.

If, however, the GM wants to empower the players to have access to the revealed content independently and/or outside of the game session, the cloud does become essential. So it really boils down to the style of play for the gaming group and what the GM wants to provide to his players. We've tried to provide a solid framework in Realm Works that supports the full spectrum of GM needs and play styles, making the product valuable to everyone instead of a small, targeted subset.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #19 Reply With Quote