View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 19th, 2020, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoobob View Post
Not sure if it's within the scope of "no drastic changes", but I'd really like the ability to output a character sheet in the official Paizo format. Finding character info would be much easier in the familiar, standard format. Plus it just looks good imo : )
A fixed character sheet has some major limitations. For example, what about a character with 4 lore skills? There are only three slots. What about a character with more weapons than there are slots? Or spells? Or whatever else?

Then there are big empty spaces for characters that don't have a use for a particular aspect. Fighters don't much need spells. Wizards don't need a bunch of weapon slots. Etc.

I'm NOT saying the character sheet is bad in ANY way whatsoever. I'm saying it has major limitations and will consistently fail for many of the characters that HLO users run. In each of those cases, users will expect us to "do the right thing" - whatever that is. And handling all those cases will be a huge time sink that everyone will probably have wildly differing opinions on.

We wrestled with this exact problem more than a decade ago with HLC and settled on using our own adaptive format. Is it perfect? Not at all. Does it address all the exceptions cleanly? Yes, it does.

One of the things we've got planned is the ability to "export" a character. This will be part of our interface with VTTs and also be a resource for users to write their own character sheet transforms if they want. At that point, there will be a means for users to accomplish what you're seeking.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote