View Single Post
Chemlak

Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:39 AM
Software release is a tricky business. There are basically three types of release:

1) Buggy as all hell, out on time.
2) Good enough, some delays.
3) Good, lots of delays.

LWD strive to fall somewhere between 2 & 3 - they want the software to be good. They want it to function, be easy to use, and to do everything it promises to do. But they're also aware that people are champing at the bit to get their hands on this product. So they have to prioritise. They have to make it at least 'good enough', because their company name and brand are built on making quality products. All of which means there's a certain amount of pressure on them to get it out the door, because they know that people are going to buy it, and what company doesn't want an influx of cash from a new product?

Fortunately for us as users, LWD have the balls to take the heat and delay release if the product doesn't meet their quality control standards. If it's not 'good enough'. And I respect them for that.

Now, I may be biased, since I'm an Early Access user of RW, and I have the product right now, and I can use it, and damned if I don't absolutely love it (well worth the price of admission), so I don't have to wait for official release to use it, but I like the fact that as independent developers they aren't under pressure from some corporate overlords who insist on releasing software that the developers don't think is ready for the public. It's pretty straightforward, really, and boils down to the following statement:

"If you buy an application from Lone Wolf Development, it will be good software. It may need updates and patches, but you won't be buying something you need to patch on day 2. They're going to do it right."

I'll happily suffer a delay of a few days if it means I'm going to get a product with that sort of attention to detail in it.
Chemlak is offline   #22 Reply With Quote