View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old April 25th, 2016, 09:28 AM
I'm curious how DMs would take advantage of such a scheme. Do you buy your players' handbooks, dice, etc.? I don't mean this as a challenge. I'm sincerely interested. I would be hesitant to purchase a pack of player licenses, even if I did have total control over the accounts/licenses after handing them out.

With the current group that I DM for, they just wouldn't use it. Most don't want to spend time on the game between sessions, which is currently the main purpose of the players' version. For my current group, RW is solely a means for me to manage my campaign. If it was really important to me to have a group of players invested into keeping up with all the plot elements and session details to the level where they would really be able to take advantage of the player view, then I would require them to buy it as a prerequisite of playing in my campaign.

As DM, the only thing I require my players to bring is snacks and drinks to share. I don't even require that they have the rule books. I have extra sets of dice, pencils, etc. I have a binder with quick look-ups to commonly consulted tables and the Players Handbook to reference. If a player wanted to come with nothing but a bag of chips and soda, they could.

But buying software for the players would be a step too far for me.

How common is this? How many of you buy RW, HL, or VTT licenses for your players?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote

Last edited by MNBlockHead; April 25th, 2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typos
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote