View Single Post
Seeker1728

Old February 25th, 2021, 08:56 PM
Sorry to bother again, but even with the assistance of a buddy who's a software developer, we've been running into a number of walls that I need some help with. Though I found some posts that would address some of my issues, the unfortunate tendency was this was chatter between people who know way more about the editor and where to stick things than I do, and within the flow of their posts, omitted to make mention of where their scripts were to be placed leaving me befuddled as to what goes where, even if the example was otherwise a good find to solve some settings I want to make use of..

Some examples I would appreciate some more direction on are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
Some settings or house rules have a Skill Rating maximum that is dependent upon the character's Rank. This can be done by making a mechanic that has a Source that has the given setting/house rule set checked.

The example below makes it so that a Novice can only get d8 in a skill rating. It increases to d10 at Seasoned. It increases to d12 at Veteran.

Pre-Traits 5000
Code:
    var xp as number
    var skillMax as number
    xp = hero.child[resXP].field[resMax].value
    skillMax = 4

~Determine the skillMax bonus by XP value.

if (xp >= 20) then
      skillMax +=1
    endif

if (xp >= 40) then
      skillMax +=1
    endif

~Apply the skillMax to each skill.
foreach pick in hero from Skill
    eachpick.field[trtMaximum].value = skillMax
nexteach
So where specifically does the above code go? My assumption is that in the editor it's making use of the "Settings" tab, but no matter which area I plugged it into that script failed (i.e. eval, pre-req, etc).

Next one is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
From Caped Crusader, a note about how to make sure someone can take a normal amount of Hindrances if their racial template already gives them one:

Code:
#resmax[resHinder] += 1 (or 2 if it's Major)
Don't even have a clue where the above quoted one goes, is it the "Race", "Racial Property" or "Racial Ability" tab? And it would solve a major headache I'm running into as PCs inherit a hindrance from their parent (designated as a faction) and one from their Pantheon (designated as a Race), which is blocking the PCs from being able to select more than a single Minor Hindrance of their own choosing.

For the one below, am I correct in assuming this gets made use of on the Races tab? Is it possible to make use of the same code on the Factions tab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
You can do all of the following with an eval script that is Pre-Traits 5000. It is before Calc trtFinal (in the Timing button at the bottom).

To alter the number of Hindrance points that you have is as follows, with X being the value that you want to place there.
Code:
hero.child[resHinder].field[resMax].value += X
I use that because I give so many points in a campaign where I want different races to have varied costs. I then have that racial cost apply against the Hindrance points. This helps to allow races to be their "correct" values and keeps things fair.

For edges, again with the X
Code:
hero.child[resEdge].field[resMax].value += X
For skills, again with X
Code:
perform #resspent[resSkill,-,X,"Free Skill"]
Note that I do not think that the "Free Skill" shows up anywhere, but it helps to recall why it is there when looking at the code.

Also, I'm at a loss at how to solve the following two problems:

1) We decided to use the SPC to render the abilities Scion's have access to, unfortunately upon check marking the SPC-2nd Ed as a source in the configurator, there is a race showing up from it that I don't want included (Atlantean to be exact). How would one go about removing this race for my .user file only? As in, I don't mind it being available for other games if we make use of the SPC-2, but for this setting, we don't want it available.

2) Got to put a disclaimer here first, really really sorry for being so dense in trying to figure this one out and needing my hand held I ran across Seely's post here, I had wanted to do something similar to what Seely accomplished, but I noticed it was posted in 2015 and was wondering:
  • are the files he uploaded still required? Or has HL evolved since then to include those features?
  • If I don't need those files, does that change the instructions he posted?
  • On the section with the attribute advancement per rank, how would I go about changing that to every 4 ranks and not every rank?

Finally, I'd like to do grant a extra Edge every X ranks, if this could be dumbed down for me I'd really really appreciate it. I know I'm being asked to be spoonfed here and annoying as hell, but my brain has been beaten to tapioca over the week with the many failed attempts at trying to get something like this to shape up. I got so much stuff floating around in my head and piles of notes to where at the moment, I don't know which way is up.
Seeker1728 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote