View Single Post
HakujinGrande
Volunteer Data File Author

Old November 5th, 2005, 10:31 AM
While his post is a bit inflammitory, I believe he has a valid point.

Let me preface this by stating that I too have been a software developer, and understand that schedules slip for various reasons and implementation of features may take longer than planned.

However, as a customer and a datafile author, I also feel the frustration of the other users regarding the release of updates. By my count, there have been only two updates thus far, and neither has fixed the loading roster bug. A bug report related to this problem has been in the Space Marine bug tracker at http://ab40k3.homelinux.net since at lease March. I would venture to say that not having rosters load properly makes the product unusable for some, and therefore a waste of their money.

From the user point of view, I question why time is being spent adding new features for 3.1 when there are bugs to be fixed. The current philosophy and update schedule appears to be at odds with the with the ideas stated on Lone Wolf's page describing the licensing model for AB.

Quote:
Users are able to get a variety of small updates over the course of the year, but the company still saves up the major new features for a new version in an effort to compel the customer renew his subscription the next year.
Found here:
http://www.wolflair.com/rightframe.p...ensing_details

This is just some food for thought, and perhaps a call to sit down and rething your release strategy.

Army Builder is a great product, and I believe in it, otherwise why would I be a datafile author for two game systems? But I would also like to see more frequent updates that fix the serious existing problems emphasized over adding new features.

Space Marine Maintainer for AB3
Battlefleet Gothic Maintainer for AB3
40K: Space Wolves, 13th Company, Grey Knights, Deathwatch
BFG: Space Marine Fleet, Armageddon Fleet, Tau Fleet
HakujinGrande is offline   #3 Reply With Quote