Thread: Softwar Piracy
View Single Post
nekogunner

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The Steam suggestion is a good one. Unfortunately, the Steam solution has a number of flaws for a product like AB. We've investigated something like it and found it to be no better than what we currently do. All it does it move the issues around, without providing an overall net improvement.
Just curious, but what problems would be moved around vs solved exactly? I apologize if this seems like a rant, but I'm just trying to understand your thought process.

Here are the versions of DRM I've seen:

1) Always on internet connection - Ubisoft tried this with horrible results. The goal for this was that your copy of the game would always be connected to their authentication server. The second your connection drops due to a power loss, technical issues, whatever, you are booted out of the game. Even though it was single player.

Pirates circumvented this by creating their own local "server", tricking the game into thinking that it was a legal copy when it wasn't.

Ubisoft servers when down at least one weekend. The community couldn't play and were upset that pirates could.

I can see this happening with Army Builder.

2) Steam approach - Steam is DRM in and of itself. Unless you are adding a shortcut / non-steam game, all games purchased through Steam, require Steam to be running in order to purchase it, initially install it, and run it. There is an offline mode that is supported by many developers.

EX: Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2 - Retribution. Start game while Steam is online and connected to internet. Start game in Steam's "offline mode" and connected to the internet so the game's DRM can validate your copy as legal but in offline mode, then cut the cord, and go completely offline.

You can run Steam, and most Steam games in offline mode for about a week before it tells you, that you are required to login.

3) CD-key + (optional) X number of installs (Typically 3-10) - This is easily bypassed. Happens all the time with many popular games. Not sure how (not that code savvy) but it happens all the time.

Really all it seems to take would be a small piece of code / DRM program to be installed with Army Builder that connects to your servers. It could run inside of or alongside army builder. A week grace period seems like plenty of time.

Also, why the set number of licenses so low? I don't understand why you would limited the number to just two. While the average person would have a desktop and laptop, it doesn't seem outlandish to let people install it on multiple computers. Especially they would have to have their log-in details to access the program.

I wouldn't just give them to any random person on the street or in my local hobby shop to use. Especially since that could also be tied to my credit card info and multiple products that I've purchased....definitely not....

See where I'm going with this?

Just trying to figure why specially the Steam approach is bad.

DRM is bound to inconvenience the honest user in some way shape or form. It's about minimizing the annoyance factor that helps drive up your reputation as a developer / seller.

Sorry,

\rant.
nekogunner is offline   #20