View Single Post
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 4th, 2020, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
With the amount of material to convert from HLC to HLO, it would be sensible for them to implement a converter that reads the XML files and generates the data and scripts in whatever language they are now using.

Doing the conversion manually would get individual small parts available more quickly, but in the long run it would likely take longer to convert everything manually.

(I've seen both approaches taken in my 32 years of programming - and cringed when people chose the manual approach.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I am sure it would be a mix of both, the purely data driven stuff I am sure would be automated. But it sounds like there is other stuff that will need new code.
The technical problem isn't a language one, the datafiles are still XML + scripting. So while there will undoubtedly be parts of the pure data we can convert in an automated way, there are fundamental differences to the way the data files and engine need to operate in a server environment, for performance and stability reasons. The problem is one of architecture, so it's much harder (and in many cases impossible) to automate a conversion for those parts.
Joe is offline   #24 Reply With Quote