View Single Post
dungeonguru

Old October 30th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKodiak69 View Post
In this regard, would I need to make a copy of the whole Revised Ranger Data File, or is it enough that duplicated the Companion Type thing and gave it a new unique ID? This is my first foray into editing the data files so I'm not sure. I suppose I could just copy the file into a separate directory and then... what? Move it back in after an update?
I would make copies of 3 things (in parenthesis is where these are located in the editor) into a NEW file, just hit the New (Copy) button on the tabs you'll be visiting and it should be fine. Give your file a name like "My-Custom-Stuff.user", it will remain independent of the community files no matter what.

1. the Companion type - c5CRgrComp (General Tab - Companion Type)
2. the 3rd level Ranger's Companion ability of the ranger - c5CRgrRanC (Class Tab - Class Special)
3. the Ranger subclass - Beast Master - c5CRgrBeaM (Class Tab - Custom Ability)

What is happening is that #3 bootstraps #2 and #2 bootstraps #1.
So in your copy of #3 (Beast Master) you'll want to replace where it bootstraps #2 (c5CRgrRanC) with whatever the ID is of your copy of #2.

You do the same with your copy of #2, make sure it bootstraps your copy of #1.

I would suggest maybe renaming the Ranger Subclass something like "Fey Beast Master" so you can easily tell them apart.
dungeonguru is offline   #8 Reply With Quote