View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:40 AM
At 11:06 PM 2/25/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Well, I bought my license (yay! [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) and I'm eagerly awaiting the Developer's Kit. I've already posted a few questions on the forum, but I figured I would ask the source (and I'm pretty sure once you have the whole thing going System Data File development will get its own sub-forum in the Hero lab section).
Authoring absolutely will get its own sub-forum as soon as the kit allows development of data files for new game systems.

Quote:
1. Cloning Data sets: How do you "clone" a Data set so that you can work your custom alterations on it while leaving the main set intact and untouched?
You can create a separate game system folder that contains just the core SRD material if you want. Or you can create a separate folder with your user-added material. For details, see the last two bullets in the Miscellaneous Topics section of the Creating Custom Material chapter in the docs.

Quote:
2. Updating Your Datasets: is there going to be a shortcut around having to re-create the data sets you made if a core program upgrade raises compatibility issues?
We are doing our utmost to make sure that we won't be breaking existing user-created data files. In fact, some of the changes we're working on now that are delaying the release of the rest of editing are due to us re-working things so that existing user files won't break. It's definitely possible (dare I say, likely) that there will be something we just can't work around cleanly. If that occurs, we'll be sure to outline what steps are needed to adjust existing files and minimize the work involved. Since all the data files are ultimately text files (XML), fixes should be relatively low-impact. For example, a fix could involve opening up a file in a text editor and manually changing certain attributes or elements to new names in some cases. But these types of problems will generally be avoided.

Quote:
3. Plausible Deniability Groups: Does Lone Wolf have a policy against Hero Lab users forming impromptu groups to work on and discuss data file projects that are compatible with Hero Lab but completely unrelated to the company or anything it has licensed?
If you are going to be discussing the IP of RPG companies, you'll need to be judicious about those discussions here on our forums. At least, as it applies to coordinated data file creation. For Army Builder and Card Vault, the creation of data files for various game systems boosts sales of the publishers' products (minis and cards). However, data files for Hero Lab can be construed as a different matter. To be on the safe side, we're striving to do everything under license. So please keep the focus here on the product and the creation of data files. Please avoid discussing any active collaboration and/or sharing of data files. Suggesting other venues where such discussions can be found is probably pushing the envelope, but it's also not something we can reasonably try to stop. We're not going to be policing with an iron hand, but we do ask that everyone be respectful. :-)

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote