Thread: Community Files
View Single Post
MagicSN

Old January 31st, 2016, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I believe that the concerns about being unable to implement certain feats, or any other aspects of the 5E rules, are based upon incorrect assumptions. As I outlined in my second point above, mechanics are not protected by copyright. This means that, even if users discovered a limitation where capability X could not be implemented in the current 5E files, we could safely add the underlying mechanics for that general capability. Then users could add the specific details.

We've already done that in places with the Pathfinder data files, making it possible for some 3PPs to incorporate their custom mechanics via simply the editor. We could do the same for the 5E files, and I expect we will to support various 3PPs with their 5E supplements. If there's something we've overlooked within the current 5E rules, or something is introduced in a new supplement from Wizards, we can add the framework logic so the editor can be readily leveraged by users.

Thanks, Rob
It seems I was wrong (I saw some code to do the needed stuff for feats) as to "not being able to do something without the dat files). I stand corrected.

I still claim it would be easier with the dat files (and for some parts I still do not see how it would be possible, especially modifying the character sheet and the "start a character" GUI.

As to the things I really would like in the code (and where I also would work on like provide you guys from Wolf Lair with example code from my own implementation or do it in the editor if it is possible) I sent an email to Liz yesterday. I also included some screenshots so you can have a look.

I would also be interested in discussing the implementation of these features (and how I could help with it) in private, if this is preferred.

For myselves starting on porting over my code to your version the barrier right now is that some of my "must-have" features require modification of the character sheet PDF code.

Though even if everything is possible without the .dat files I claim it would make things easier if community software authors could look at the complete implementation instead of having to use the editor and always only able to look at a "small part" at the same time.

I believe a strong reason why so many community updates for 4e existed was that the whole code was available in form of .dat files and you just could go on with a text editor and look at the whole code.

Best regards,
MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #18 Reply With Quote