View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 29th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I'm not sure who previously had said that they had said something similar about discussions with their friends.

I suspect these people are telling their friends their own reasons for why they think exporting and/or printing are essential, and thus putting off their friends from trying RW. Their friends might well not actually need export/printing since RW probably provides everything that they'll need at the table.
Definitely a possibility, and likely a probability in some cases. However, it could also be a simple matter of similar ways of thinking. That IS why most friends become friends in the first place, right?

There are plenty of GMs who've been doing it a particular way for 20+ years. Heck, I've been GMing for 39 years now! Yikes! And it's not always easy to shift to a new paradigm. Why change things when it's working fine?

The reality is that gamers like me represent the past, and the younger generation is the future. In a world of tablets and phones that possess more computing power than desktop PCs had a few years ago, not to mention an effort to avoid cutting down even more trees, electronic distribution is steadily becoming the standard. Many will argue that it already HAS become the standard - just ask the folks at Barnes & Noble. And the shift is only going to accelerate in the years ahead.

The vision for Realm Works was always a purely electronic concept. A meaningful number of users asked for printing, so we put it on the todo list, and I wholly understand those folks. There are members in my gaming group (old like me) that are very grudgingly embracing digital. The biggest luddite in my group is finally coming around because his KIDS are pushing him. Like I said, the future...

Anyways, the bottom line is that printing is something that we can't drop other things to add. We've investigated various options for printing, and we've mapped out one that we believe can be implemented this coming year without a huge amount of work. That will hopefully make my "old school" brethren happy while still keeping us firmly on track for the future.
rob is offline   #23 Reply With Quote