View Single Post
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 14th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Fuzzy, I think there’s a little bit of confusion here. Regardless of whether the computers are in the same room, the GM’s content needs to get into the Player Edition. It sounds like you’re asking why you cannot transfer the data to Player Edition via a flashbdrive or cloud storage like Dropbox, Skydrive, or GoogleDrive. I would recommend taking a look at Rob’s explanation here in this thread, but I’ll pull out part of his explanation to highlight how our cloud service works with Player Edition, and how it differs from Dropbox (the same reasoning would apply to transferring stuff via a flashdrive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Our assumption is that you don't want to just give your players everything and trust them not to peek at things they're not supposed to know. With Dropbox, your only option is to give your players everything - the entire database contents. Alternately, you could manually edit down the file that you give them, but then you have to manually do that every time, which doesn't work so well. What the Realm Works server does is identify exactly the information that you have revealed and send that information down to the players. If you reveal different information to different players (something that we've got designed in but haven't fully added yet), then the Realm Works server will properly determine exactly what information you've revealed to the particular player who's syncing down your realm. Only that subset of information is sent down to the player, as it should.
As you can see, it’s different from just sharing files like you would with Word Documents or even Hero Lab portfolios.
liz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote