View Single Post
Korav

Old July 10th, 2014, 03:23 AM
So I have been working on using the XML output from Hero Lab, parse it with Javascript, then us the Roll 20 API to import information into the new character sheet system they have.

The challenge that I am running into is that there often seems to be important information missing from the xml. This information is obviously taken into account in Hero Labs and on the final sheet output, but not in the XML.

Two examples, first:

<initiative total="+5" attrname="Dexterity" misctext="+0" attrtext="+3">
<situationalmodifiers text=""/>
</initiative>

In the snippet above you can see that the "total" is 5, however the Dexterity attribute accounts for only 3 of that with no other situational or miscellaneous modifiers. Now on this character I have a trait that provides an additional +2 to initiative so I know the source, but there is simply no way from the xml output to easily determine this.

Second example, Armor Class Penalties:

<penalties>
<penalty name="Armor Check Penalty" value="-2" text="-2"/>
<penalty name="Max Dex Bonus" value="6" text="6"/>
</penalties>

<armor name="Heavy steel shield" ac="+2" quantity="1" equipped="yes">
<weight value="15" text="15 lbs"/>
<cost value="20" text="20 gp"/>
...redacting description as it is irrelevant...

<armor name="Leather armor" ac="+2" quantity="1" equipped="yes">
<weight value="15" text="15 lbs"/>
<cost value="10" text="10 gp"/>
...redacting description as it is irrelevant...

So with the above, it is not possible to associate the Armor Check Penalty with either of the armor items, but in the application and the output sheet this information is realistically available.

Is it possible that the xml output is missing these values? Are they somehow calculated internally (meaning that the project I am working on will have severe limitation)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Korav is offline   #1 Reply With Quote