View Single Post
Silveras

Old March 1st, 2014, 10:35 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that there will likely be data packages of the rules data made available at some point in the future. While that won't help with the initial launch of the product, if you can get along with the books, PDFs, or on-line reference sites for now.. it may be possible to get the core mechanics of a game system for a small price. Like HeroLab, that would be paying for someone else to have put in the material for you. One advantage of that, as I see it, is when I want to add some campaign-specific materials, I will have the "official" category and article formats available to me to match. If I don't wait, I may wind up with more of a mis-matched collection of things (my custom definition of gear in one set of articles and the standard ones in another).

If you would prefer not to pay for a finished product in the future, then that is less of an incentive, and if you want both the mechanics and the story materials in one place, then you have less to lose by starting now. HOWEVER... I would point out that the repository functionality (to come later after the v1.0 release) is key to being able to re-use content you have entered yourself. In other words, as I understand it, you will be able to "import" or "copy" data from one realm to another, and having the mechanics in a separate realm will make it easier to add that to new campaign-specific realms as you need them.
Silveras is offline   #3