View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 17th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer4700 View Post
And that's the part that I would rather have running on my server at home - but it sounds like that will not be an option.
You are the rare exception, sir. The vast majority of GMs either don't have the technical know-how or don't want to bother with all the time to set everything up. We're targeting THOSE users in addition to people like yourself.

There's two important things to consider here. First of all, how much does your company charge for their software? How much more do they charge for support contracts and the like that cover all the support costs of helping customers get everything setup properly? I think it's safe to say it's a lot more than $25 per year.

Second of all, how much is your time worth? With your technical background, I'm guessing you make a lot more than $25 per hour. So if it took you even just one hour to muck around with getting the server setup and configured properly, it would be a losing proposition for you.

Now we also have to worry about rolling out updates to everyone and dealing with users who are running different versions of the server, along with all the potential issues that arise from mismatched client versions and server versions. And users like yourself need to deal with the headaches when their players grab an update that needs a new server version to communicate with, yet you haven't had the time to update the server yet.

Put that all together and providing an option for users to host their own server simply makes no sense for anyone involved. It's a wonderful idea in concept, but it's just not practical for anyone.

Hope this makes sense!
rob is offline   #46 Reply With Quote