View Single Post
zarlor

Old October 17th, 2013, 04:48 AM
I'm pretty sure I know which other program you're talking about, and certainly something like High Space just wouldn't be doable in that program. There is a lot to be said for the ability to get something like that into Hero Lab. That being said there is also a very steep learning curve to getting many things into a Hero Lab data file that require documentation that isn't always there. That other program is more intuitive for the majority of data entry work that a lot of people want to accomplish. It also does a few things that Hero Lab doesn't do and it has a bit nice character printout than hero Lab does.

Some of the missing things have been requested here, though, and often we'll see some of that eventually make its way into the program. Some of it we've been able to implement into data files ourselves and LWD in conjunction with PEG, Inc. have been excellent in reaching out to those of us in the community who have been willing to create data files for official settings, as can also be said for High Space. (One of the reasons I'm rather fanatically a Pinnacle fan boy is because they don't just allow fan-based content, unlike some other companies, they practically encourage it!)

We have had some issues on occasion with responsiveness, but I think that is more of a Savage Worlds issue just because I think the Savage Worlds side probably just brings in so much less money than the Pathfinder side does. Despite some of those delays, though, overall Lone Wolf has been pretty good about getting back to us. It also probably doesn't help that things here also tend to come in fits and spurts rather than a steady stream of things we may be working on.

I would also add that there is also a new program that just came out recently which advertised some really useful functionality for what it would do, but then it also failed miserably on delivering that. It has some promise, possibly on the form-fillable PDF front, but overall it's a heavily lacking product lagging FAR behind Hero Lab and that other program you mentioned.

So while I would still really love to see an easier or more understandable method where we might, for example, be able to use any form-fillable PDF as a character sheet, or at least a more intuitive or even graphical method for doing them, and while I would love to see even more of the suggestions I've made previously in the appropriate thread implemented, overall Hero Lab has still been my go-to character building program. Certainly there is plenty of room for improvement, but I'd also say that once you get over the cost of buy-in of the learning curve for doing some of the main data entry work kinds of things in it then it's still the best product out there for doing Savage Worlds characters.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; October 17th, 2013 at 04:51 AM.
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote