View Single Post
morkalg

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Quote:
However I cannot, in good conscience (and neither can several others in my group) continue to support a business that clearly profits from the works of unpaid volunteers, who are also clearly bitter that they are uncompensated and (seemingly) unappreciated.
(1) I have no affiliation at all with Lone Wolf Development.

(2) I do NOT make/edit army builder files nor am I affiliated with the creators.

Please understand the above.

You are totally entitled to your opinion on how you spend your money but I think you should consider that Lone Wolf would probably LOVE to be able to create 40K army builder files. Their hands are tied however by Games Workshop and the iron fisted control they maintain over their IP.

Of course... it IS theirs to do with as they please.

I play all the Warhammer 40K RPG's published by Fantasy Flight Games and am a beta tester for Realm Works and use it extensively to manage my 40K game campaigns. I also own Hero Lab and would love to use it to manage my players characters for my 40K games. I've talked to the developers, even got an internet petition going and got all the signatures I set out for to try and get FFG to allow Lone Wolf to make Hero Lab files but all of it was shot down by Games Workshop. Both sides would love to be able to do this and I'm sure there are a lot of other companies out there that could produce interesting 40K related products if only the licensing was allowed but it all comes back to what Games Workshop will allow NOT Lone Wolf.

Maybe the data file creators do feel taken advantage of, I'm not going to speak for them, but choosing not to support a program that I feel does every single they that CAN legally do to make our hobby easier and more accessible only hurts the hobby in the long run.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by morkalg; April 8th, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: fixed a quote
morkalg is offline   #18