Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Transferring Topics Between Campaigns (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=50385)

RampagingHoardes August 18th, 2014 01:59 PM

Transferring Topics Between Campaigns

I was wondering is there a way to transfer topics that have been created into other campaigns within your realms?

I was thinking of adding some things and I will need it in other realms as well and really hate to create all this stuff twice. For instance all the spells in the game so I don't have to ever look them up :p

Anyone know if this can be done or is there a feature request for this yet?

thanks

AEIOU August 18th, 2014 02:38 PM

Sooooooooon....

Player edition brings tech needed to share content. Once we can share content, we can share with ourselves and create "master" realms that will act as base campaigns.

Disclaimer: Soon is a relative term. Please keep your hands and feet within the ride at all times. Soon can take on a variety of characteristics including but not limited to stretching, choppieness, slowness, excessive speed, implosion, lightheadedness and in some rare cases reversal. Your patience is much appreciated.

RampagingHoardes August 18th, 2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AEIOU (Post 190531)
Sooooooooon....

Player edition brings tech needed to share content. Once we can share content, we can share with ourselves and create "master" realms that will act as base campaigns.

Disclaimer: Soon is a relative term. Please keep your hands and feet within the ride at all times. Soon can take on a variety of characteristics including but not limited to stretching, choppieness, slowness, excessive speed, implosion, lightheadedness and in some rare cases reversal. Your patience is much appreciated.

Thanks for the response.
Do we have to share from the master or can it be shared in any direction?
Also can we designate any as a master(ie one already created) and can this be changed once it is set?

thx again

kate August 18th, 2014 10:22 PM

I don't think there will be an official "master" designation. The idea is to enable sharing between any two realms. So just like I will be able to share my settlement "Dwarf Fort" from my realm "Dwarf World" to your realm "Dwarves vs Goblins," I could share "Dwarf Fort" from "Dwarf World" to my other realms "Dwarf Wars" and "Dwarf Explorers." In this case, both "Wars" and "Explorers" would represent campaigns occurring within "World." I could also move the NPC "Igvan Dwarfenbeard" from "Dwarf Wars" to "Dwarf World" if he becomes a big enough fixture within one campaign to have a role as a world NPC in otherwise unrelated campaigns.

Farling August 18th, 2014 11:32 PM

I think the sharing is at the realm level, not the topic level. So you would have a master realm which you could "import" into another realm.

rob August 19th, 2014 12:18 PM

It's going to be a stepwise process. We'll start with realm-level sharing. Then it will be possible to share portions of a realm (topics, plots, etc.). As some point, we'll have sub-element sharing, such as a subset of snippets from a given topic.

Please note that this capability is tied to the Content Market, which will encompass sharing in general. Player Edition will not encompass all of this, but it does include a few of the core building blocks.

RampagingHoardes August 20th, 2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 190642)
It's going to be a stepwise process. We'll start with realm-level sharing. Then it will be possible to share portions of a realm (topics, plots, etc.). As some point, we'll have sub-element sharing, such as a subset of snippets from a given topic.

Please note that this capability is tied to the Content Market, which will encompass sharing in general. Player Edition will not encompass all of this, but it does include a few of the core building blocks.

Awesome news this product truly is a wonderful piece of software :)

Acenoid August 22nd, 2014 04:30 PM

I'm a bit sad about this, though I knew that it probably would be like this. Iam not planning to use the sharing service, so initially there will be no solution for me to create realms based on existing ones in order to "copy" settings.

Hopefully we get some elemental functionality without using the cloud.

Sorry for being so pessimistic about the service, but I know that I would only need and use it twice per year thus it's not worth it.

Maybe (to be more constructive) - it is possible to enable the "basic" function to share realms with your own account, to allow some of the basic actions, while using the cloud & whatever other sharing services are being offered via an advanced version?

kate August 25th, 2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acenoid (Post 191096)
Maybe (to be more constructive) - it is possible to enable the "basic" function to share realms with your own account, to allow some of the basic actions, while using the cloud & whatever other sharing services are being offered via an advanced version?

Maybe the "backup" function would work for a quick and dirty copy - if you can load a backup of your "master" Realm A into new Realm B, then B starts with all the basic information in A?

Farling August 25th, 2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate (Post 191251)
Maybe the "backup" function would work for a quick and dirty copy - if you can load a backup of your "master" Realm A into new Realm B, then B starts with all the basic information in A?

The Backup and Restore function backs up the entire database on your machine (i.e. all the realms), not just a single realm.