Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Using a string as a ThingID in a script (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=68025)

Lord Magus October 1st, 2023 07:40 AM

Using a string as a ThingID in a script

I am trying to use a string, stored in the field "abText", as a thingID in a script, but I do not know how to do that properly.

I have tried
Code:

~ We calculate the bonuses for Elemental Augmentation

var AttBon as number
var AttTarget as string

foreach pick in hero where "abCategory.AMSAffin & Affinity.? & Helper.FirstCopy"
  AttBon = round(eachpick.field[abValue3].value/2,0,-1)
  AttTarget = eachpick.field[abText].text
  hero.child[AttTarget].field[aPostMod].value += AttBon
nexteach

but the "hero.child[AttTarget]" part does not work, even though the abText field that AttTarget refers to contains the thingID of the ability score I want to use.

Any pointers on how to properly convert a string to an thingID? Thanks!

Mathias October 1st, 2023 09:45 AM

Don't store the Id of the pick as text. Store some identity tag from the target pick on the picks you're foreaching through. Since this is attributes, and there's only 6 of them, use a 6-item if...elseif to apply the bonus to the correct attribute. If there were more picks, a nested foreach would be the way to find them.

Also, why is this script using a foreach - can't these AMSAffin picks run the script themselves, instead of running it from some master pick? As far as I can tell, this would be a 3-line script on those picks:

doneif (tagis[Helper.FirstCopy] = 0)
doneif (tagis[Affinity.?] = 0)

hero.chilfdound[aDex].field[aPostMod].value += round(field[abValue3].value/2,0,-1)

(just copying the script from pick to pick, changing the attribute Id for each one).

Lord Magus October 1st, 2023 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathias (Post 302319)
Don't store the Id of the pick as text. Store some identity tag from the target pick on the picks you're foreaching through. Since this is attributes, and there's only 6 of them, use a 6-item if...elseif to apply the bonus to the correct attribute. If there were more picks, a nested foreach would be the way to find them.

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to try and avoid running a series of if-then to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathias (Post 302319)
Also, why is this script using a foreach - can't these AMSAffin picks run the script themselves, instead of running it from some master pick?

Funny that you're asking that, as this was my first idea that I then discarded to try to "centralize" the process on the Transform ability. I'll probably just transfer everything on the Affinities. Thanks again!