Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Deities (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59846)

Redjack December 30th, 2017 07:17 PM

Deities

I want to alter the details about the various Deities and have options to only display the deities we want. To that end I have:
- Created a .1st file to give me a menu structure.
- "Deleted COM_5ePack_PHB - Deities.user" and replaced it with my own deities file.

I still have Celtic, Egyptian, Greek, and Norse deities I want to suppress/replace. They *appear* to be coming from the data.hlz (binary) file not from .user (ascii) files. Is there a way to suppress/replace those entries?

dungeonguru December 31st, 2017 05:26 AM

There are a couple of ways to do this, I would suggest not deleting the COM files though as they'll just come back next release anyway.

Simple way:
Create or modify your own .user file, in the editor find the *Hidden tab and then for every deity you want to hide create a New(Blank) entry. Each of these hide a single thing permanently from you without deleting it. Make your own deities.

Harder way:
Create your own "Hide Stock Deities" source via the .1st file. Go into one of your personal .user files and find the *Preclude tab. For every deity you want to hide you create an entry with its thing ID and your source ID.
This means every time you check your "Hide Stock Deities" source on Configure Hero (Ctrl-K) , it will hide the things you selected.
Make copies of all the deities and change the description.

Hardest way:
Since you say you want to overwrite some of the PHB deity information, you can also go the route of replacing the existing deities. In your deity user file when you are in the editor, on the right of a deity entry is a box under the blue buttons that is labelled Replaces Thing ID.
You *could* create a copy of a deity and in that box put the thingID for the original.
Example: You want to replace the text on Akadi (a community god with thingid of dei5CAkadi)
You Copy Akadi and give it a Unique ID (say deiRJAkadi) <- I used RJ for Redjack, you use whatever you've been using.
You then type over the description as you want it and make any changes you want.
To the right in the Replaces Thing ID box you type in dei5CAkadi.
Save/Test.

When you look up deities, the Akadi that shows up should be the one you just edited.

This last way globally overwrites the community stuff

Redjack December 31st, 2017 09:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That worked even better. Thanks for the tips!

ShadowChemosh December 31st, 2017 09:58 AM

If you want a more advanced version that auto finds all the gods that don't belong to your own custom category see THIS. I wrote that for the Eberron Campaign system in Pathfinder.

It finds all the deity categories other than Eberron and tells HL to hide them in the list. Pretty sure this logic all exists in 5e. But this way you don't have to keep manually entering Thing ID's when new gods are entered.

Just hopefully the community deities all have category tags. ;)

Redjack December 31st, 2017 01:36 PM

Between the four pantheons embedded in LW code and both usesource & group="explicit" are a mess across the board, it was much easier to simply remove everything, create new entries with new sources, define an explicit value for each pantheon and move on.

I appreciate the code examples though. I've sludged through a number of different examples over the holidays from community code to LW example code. There are a few places I've really like to see an object reference and a few magic functions I've come across that I can't find references for...

In any event, I've finally taken the time to dive in and get my feet wet with HL's editor. For the most part I really do like it.

ShadowChemosh December 31st, 2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redjack (Post 260880)
Between the four pantheons embedded in LW code and both usesource & group="explicit"

I am not talking about sources or sort tags which is what usesource and explicit tags are.

My code looks at the "Deity Category" DeityCat.? tags. Meaning it builds a list of Deity Category tags that is not Eberron from Things. It then prevents those other categories from being displayed in the list.

This means tomorrow when X person adds god Y to the community pack it is automatically removed. No future programming required. :)

Just want to make sure everyone is on the same page. If just hiding them all manually works great! :)

Freewolf January 6th, 2018 08:23 PM

ShadowChemosh I am interested in doing this very thing. I run an Eberron campaign in 5E, and would prefer to replace every other pantheon since I will never use them. How exactly would I go about using this and creating this block of code.

I am pretty new to the editor and not totally clear on that part.

ShadowChemosh January 7th, 2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freewolf (Post 261161)
ShadowChemosh I am interested in doing this very thing. I run an Eberron campaign in 5E, and would prefer to replace every other pantheon since I will never use them. How exactly would I go about using this and creating this block of code.

I am pretty new to the editor and not totally clear on that part.

The link above takes you to the full source code of the script. What I did was created it on a simple Thing which is bootstrapped to a Mechanic. Then the Simple Thing is controlled via Sources to be on/off.

You could also just place it on an Adjustment to get started to make it easier.

The only part of the script you will have to change is the Deity Category code in the where expression. It needs to match to what ever Tag ID you create for Eberron.

Enforcer84 January 16th, 2018 02:26 PM

I did a version of the easy way, created my own "Hide deities" user file. I've noticed that when I create my own deity categories, i occasionally have trouble making the deities show up where they're supposed to

Enforcer84 January 23rd, 2018 02:08 PM

Coming back to thank you guys again. I just started editing some .1st files for my various campaigns and homebrew crap and this looks so much nicer.

The community does a great job and I'm aping it until I've got it down myself.

Enforcer84 March 4th, 2021 08:01 PM

This thread is ten years old. Fenris have you ever tried ShadowChemosh's deity hider? (I know it's for the Pathfinder pack...)

<thing id="ECSDeities" name="Eberron Mechanic, Deities" description="Hide all non-Eberron deities if the source &quot;Hide Non-Eberron Deities&quot; is turned on." compset="Simple" uniqueness="unique">
<usesource source="srcOnlyEbe"/>
<eval phase="First" priority="10000"><![CDATA[
~ Find all non-Eberron deities
foreach thing in Deity where "!DeityCat.S2Eberron & !thingid.deiAtheist & !thingid.deiOther"
~ If no deity category then pull the thingid
If (eachthing.tagcount[DeityCat.?] = 0) Then
perform eachthing.pulltags[thingid.?,HideDeity]
~ If we have a category then pull the cateogry only
~ if we have not already pulled it.
Else
If (eachthing.intersect[DeityCat,DeityCat] = 0) then
perform eachthing.pulltags[DeityCat.?]
Endif
Endif
nexteach
~ Create Hide Deity Catagory tags
perform pulltags[DeityCat.?,HideDeiCat]
~ Push the hide deity tags to the hero
perform hero.pushtags[HideDeiCat.?]
perform hero.pushtags[HideDeity.?]
]]></eval>
</thing>

Fenris447 March 5th, 2021 06:45 AM

I haven't looked at this. If it's something people want, it could maybe be a pair of adjustments: one that hides all deities of a chosen category and another that hides everything except the deities of a chosen category.

dungeonguru March 7th, 2021 02:57 PM

The code works perfect but the way it's written is as a mechanic that gets loaded through the configure hero options rather than as adjustments added later.

It wouldn't be a problem to modify it to adjustments but it boils down to if you want to clutter up your adjustments tab or your configure hero tab.

Enforcer84 March 7th, 2021 06:10 PM

Like I said, I have a "hide Gods" user file that just precludes all the official deities, and then I went and copied each pantheon to their own user file so I can choose them when configuring a hero.

ShadowChemosh's idea intrigued me but I never manage to get it to...work. *sad face*

Fenris447 March 8th, 2021 06:43 AM

I've added this as something I'm going to look at for release 3.2 (3.1 is about to release). No promises, but ShadowChemosh's code makes sense.

Fenris447 March 8th, 2021 11:16 AM

I just realized it's much harder to do than I thought. I was thinking we could just to a tag expression to pull the various deity categories. But since those are just tags, it's not actually something we can generate a list of. So...crap.

dungeonguru was getting at this. The simple but bloated way is to just make an adjustment or mechanic for each pantheon. But that's way too bloated. I have other ideas for less bloated solutions, but they still would require manual additions every time a pantheon is added. I'll think more about it.

Fenris447 March 17th, 2021 07:21 AM

I think I’m on to something that’ll make this work. I’ll have to test it when I get home. Since the headers for each pantheon are marked as Show Only, they should have a thing.showonly tag. Unless that tag isn’t used in the 5e data set, we can build a list of pantheons to pick from by looking for all deities that have that tag. Then you select that pantheon, we pull that deity category tag, and limit based on that. The only other question is whether or not the name will show up funky on the generated drop-down list, thanks to the formatting we use for pantheon names. We’ll have to see how it goes, but this is better than manually making helper things for each pantheon, which is what I was going to have to do.

Fenris447 April 5th, 2021 06:05 PM

Well...that didn't work. The fact that they’re marked as show only is probably why they’re not showing up on the drop down. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

EDIT: So I think I’ve exhausted all other options for doing this in a more automatic fashion. I think I’ll have to make Simple Things for each pantheon, creating a pool for the adjustment to pull from. When new pantheons are added, a new Simple Thing will need to be created for that pantheon in order for it to be used in this hiding adjustment. I may push this to release 3.3, depending on whether I get to it soon.

Fenris447 April 19th, 2021 04:11 PM

Thanks to the code from above, I was able to get this working.

I had to create Simple Things for each deity category, give them their respective DeityCat tag, and then have the adjustment generate a list of those Simple Things. The adjustment pulls the tag from the chosen thing and then either hides all deities from that category OR hides everything except for that category, depending on which drop-down you use on the adjustment.

For posterity's sake, when we add new pantheons, they will need their own Simple Thing created in the same manner. See 5CFrgtPnth in the PHB - Deities.user for an example of this.

The adjustment will be in release 3.3, since 3.2 just came out yesterday.