Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   RealmWorks CSV Import Tool (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58156)

bishop618 October 8th, 2017 04:09 PM

Ok I just sent you the links. Thanks for the quick response

Farling October 9th, 2017 12:09 AM

I've had a quick look at the files, and the RWEXPORT file has a blank topic as the very first topic. I suspect this is being created from the blank line that appears in the CSV file (the very last line of the file).

It looks like the CSV import code I'm using treats a blank line as if it was a valid CSV record, so it creates a topic with no data whatsoever.

I will add this as a feature improvement for the next version, to check that the public_name (i.e. the topic title) is not empty.

bishop618 October 9th, 2017 04:59 PM

So how would I fix it/make it work now?

Parody October 9th, 2017 06:00 PM

If the problem is what Farling described, delete any blank lines in the CSV file and (if present) the line ending at the end of the file and try it again.

Farling, it might be better if you checked for blank (post-trimming) lines in your file reading code and errored or ignored them then (or treated them as the end of the file). That'd separate a blank line from a line with empty data ("", "", "", ...) if you care.

Farling October 9th, 2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop618 (Post 257189)
So how would I fix it/make it work now?

The very last line in the file (which is blank) needs to be deleted.

An updated version of the tool (to be done soon) will ignore blank lines.

bishop618 October 11th, 2017 01:02 PM

Where exactly is this last line? It's still happening

Farling October 11th, 2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop618 (Post 257281)
Where exactly is this last line? It's still happening

A new version of the tool (v1.7) is now available which addresses this specific issue.

Blank lines in CSV files are now ignored during input, so the table of data at the bottom of the screen won't show any blank lines and, more importantly, no empty topics will be written into the RWEXPORT file.

Please try the latest version to see if it gets you past this little hurdle :-)

bishop618 October 11th, 2017 11:09 PM

Sorry but it's still happening with my imports

Farling October 11th, 2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop618 (Post 257306)
Sorry but it's still happening with my imports

The CSV file which you sent to me actually seems to work fine. It doesn't produce the blank topic that it seen in the RWEXPORT file that you sent me.

I tried putting a blank line into your CSV immediately after the header row, and that created a bad RWEXPORT file which looked very similar to your RWEXPORT file.

Farling October 12th, 2017 03:13 PM

Thanks for the additional files. I have now tracked down the problem. It is linked to the realm structure having the Herb category as a child category of the General Equipment Article.

When the General Equipment Article is used as the parent topic for your import, my tool is erroneously creating a blank (unnamed) Herb article as the first child of that topic!