Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   YARPS as RW Alternative (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63464)

gloranphile November 21st, 2019 06:27 AM

YARPS as RW Alternative

So one of the alternatives offered on another thread to RW was YARPS, which is doing a Kickstarter now and has beta access.

Has anyone used it yet and if so, how intuitive/useful as an alternative to RW did you find it?

Grey Mage November 21st, 2019 06:54 AM

It is still in Kickstarter mode at the moment... but one of the things they are looking at in their idea hub is migration of RW data into YARPS.

Hitchhiker November 21st, 2019 07:23 AM

I have backed the project in hopes of throwing most if not all of my votes behind migrations tools to convert RW.

kbs666 November 21st, 2019 10:10 AM

I'm not impressed by the prototype and to be blunt, a project that has raised $16k and had a goal of only $5k shows that the lead(s) have no idea what software development costs.

Sure anyone with a little knowledge can whip up a browser app in a couple of days but that is no indication of the time, and therefore money, required to get a complete project.

Farling November 21st, 2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 283914)
I'm not impressed by the prototype and to be blunt, a project that has raised $16k and had a goal of only $5k shows that the lead(s) have no idea what software development costs.

Sure anyone with a little knowledge can whip up a browser app in a couple of days but that is no indication of the time, and therefore money, required to get a complete project.

When I did a search, they tried previously in June 2018 when it did not reach it's target. This year's target was set as half of last year's.

Maybe it is another sign of the available audience for such tools.

daplunk November 21st, 2019 12:06 PM

I used it... it was not pleasant to use.

gloranphile November 21st, 2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 283916)

Can you go into some detail? Was it the UI or overall?

clithgow November 21st, 2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 283916)

I'm actually quite happy with it. Admittedly I'm not turned off to a web based solution as many are - but I found this one easier to dive into than World Anvil. I've been inputting enough since the release of the prototype to play a session or two and I can speak more on that next month some time.

Of course its not as feature heavy as RW at the moment.

clithgow November 21st, 2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloranphile (Post 283917)
Can you go into some detail? Was it the UI or overall?

I'll say that one of the things that does turn me off at the moment is the apparent lack of an ability to remove empty fields. I do like RWs one key stroke way of deleting all empty fields. Currently its not possible (quickly or otherwise I believe) in Yarps.

tkarn November 22nd, 2019 09:21 AM

A web application is not a RW alternative for me.