Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Calendars (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60789)

Lexin June 14th, 2018 12:01 PM

Calendars

I could be doing something wrong, and I'm prepared to be told that I am, but quite often when I need to insert a date my calendar will have reset itself to year 20,000.

It takes a little while to click through to the dates I need (today 1923 but sometimes I have to go back to 1400).

Is there any way of programming RW so that it automatically goes to the year specified in some kind of setting? That would be really useful.

Greebo June 14th, 2018 09:35 PM

A fully fledged calendar function including custom calendars will soon(TM) be implemented. I.e. we have been waiting for improvements of this feature since the beginning of time. Many things are already prepared in the code, but - as far as I know - the GUI has to be completely overhauled. As we have been told, a programmer will have to work at least a complete month on it. Since RW understandably needs the revenue, the calendar features will have to wait until after the opening of the content market.

:(

So, all we can do is wait more or less patiently, remined the good folks at Lone Wolf of our needs regularly, and hope.

kbs666 June 15th, 2018 04:20 PM

The calendar as it exists now is a mess. I try to avoid using it as much as possible.

Greebo June 16th, 2018 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 267285)
The calendar as it exists now is a mess. I try to avoid using it as much as possible.

Sadly, me too.

daplunk June 16th, 2018 01:31 AM

You can make your own quite easily. Not ideal but its a work around.

https://i.imgur.com/LZbOnNH.png

Greebo July 29th, 2018 07:59 AM

I did find a calendar tool I can use as workaround.

https://fantasy-calendar.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFvY...ature=youtu.be

It does almost all I want. But the tool
  • exists outside of RW, so that I still cannot use the date snippets etc.
  • needs a work-around to simulate different worlds with a common calendar (i.e. I set up the planet we play on and its moon as additional moons, so that I can at least track the beginn of seasons and the moon phases).

Hopefully, when the Custom Calendar feature finally arrives, it will work somewhat like this, including the settings for sunrise and sunset (on a variety of worlds) and weather.

:D

ruhar August 4th, 2018 03:15 AM

I am boarderline given up on the calendar and the content market. *sigh*

Dervish August 5th, 2018 01:09 PM

at this point i would rather have the Gregorian calendar removed from realm works entirely and any drop down menus for date or time span to just be text boxes.

Acenoid August 6th, 2018 10:09 AM

would be a good workaround :)

Greebo November 18th, 2018 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greebo (Post 268651)

Hopefully, when the Custom Calendar feature finally arrives, it will work somewhat like this, including the settings for sunrise and sunset (on a variety of worlds) and weather.

Regarding sunrises and sunsets throughout the year, there is one other option I hope RW includes one day:

An easy integration of axial tilt, i.e. I enter the axial tilt of a given game world into a field of the Calendar GUI and the tool uses it to calculate the day legnths.

Farling November 18th, 2018 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greebo (Post 272828)
An easy integration of axial tilt

Lol at "easy"

Greebo November 18th, 2018 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 272831)
Lol at "easy"

Yeah, I focussed on the user end, not on the actual dev work it will or might take to integrate this feature one day.

:o:)

Bidmaron November 18th, 2018 05:20 AM

To determine the length of a day, you need to know the axial tilt, the latitude of where you want to know the length of a day, and the calendar day you want to know the day length of.

To determine time of sunrise and sunset, you additionally need to know either the absolute longitude, or at least the relative longitude within the band for which the time zone applies (in fantasy world terms, there would have to be a location that is the standard to which regional times are defined). In a world without standards-setting bodies, this could be very chaotic, where a large, powerful realm might have its capital govern the time standard and every other location within the sway of this realm would have its time anchored to that. So, in the very east of such a realm (assuming counterclockwise rotation of the planet relative to the ecliptic), the sun might rise at 3AM (using an earth-like time scale), while it might rise at 12PM in the very west end (for a large realm, e.g.). Remember, even on earth, there are some locations that observe a daylight savings time and some that don't; locations where there are 30 minute time zones and hour time zones; and locations where time zones are widely distorted from a strictly longitudinal basis for the sake of convenience [usually so a small country does not need to have separate time zones].

Another common practice in fantasy cultures would be to reset your chronometer (mechanism would vary depending upon whether the chronometer is a sundial, hourglass, or mechanical device) to some standard reticle value when the sun first touches the horizon (or when the first cock crows, the first cricket chirps, or some other observable phenomenon).

And this all assumes there is only one sun in the system.

If Realmworks is attempting to capture such aspects within its calendar system, it is no wonder it is taking so long to develop.

Greebo November 18th, 2018 05:52 AM

Yes, I know it is a rather complex topic, so I am hoping only for an approximating solution to be integrated someday.

My current work-around tool does do just that (from minute 6:00 onwards):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFvY...ature=youtu.be

Quote:

It does almost all I want. But the tool
  • exists outside of RW, so that I still cannot use the date snippets etc.
  • needs a work-around to simulate different worlds with a common calendar (i.e. I set up the planet we play on and its moon as additional moons (of the campaigns homeworld, where the calendar system in use was developed), so that I can at least track the beginn of seasons and the moon phases (on the planet, where most of the atcual action takes place) ).

And, I do not expect it to be integrated all at once, if those features ever get integrated at all.

But it is incredibly usefull dealing with spot/observe test modificators, nocturnal creatures, magic cycles, tracking of seasons (e.g. on different worlds) and the like.

And, this is the feature request / wish section, after all.

Bidmaron November 18th, 2018 05:55 AM

Nice job on that, by the way. I'd love to see all of this in Realmworks, but I have my doubts....

Greebo November 18th, 2018 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bidmaron (Post 272836)
Nice job on that, by the way.

Just to be clear, my easily mistakable "my" only intended to say, that it is the tool I currently use.
I am by no means the author of that very fine tool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bidmaron (Post 272836)
I'd love to see all of this in Realmworks, but I have my doubts....

Yes, and yes.

ruhar November 18th, 2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 267298)
You can make your own quite easily. Not ideal but its a work around.

This is nice. Is it available to download and incorporate into our realms?

Quote:

I did find a calendar tool I can use as workaround.

https://fantasy-calendar.com/

This is exactly what I need. Thanks for sharing.

daplunk November 18th, 2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruhar (Post 272856)
This is nice. Is it available to download and incorporate into our realms?

I've made a new version which can be downloaded from HERE.

https://i.imgur.com/dZyqTCB.png

kbs666 November 25th, 2018 05:34 PM

Keep in mind every campaign world won't have axial tilt.

The Known World from a Song of Fire and Ice does not have axial tilt in a way that can explain its seasons in any way that can be understood by humans for instance.

ErinRigh November 26th, 2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 273074)
Keep in mind every campaign world won't have axial tilt.

The Known World from a Song of Fire and Ice does not have axial tilt in a way that can explain its seasons in any way that can be understood by humans for instance.

Sure are wrong there. Ya know that metal thing they keep showing at the beginning of Game of Thrones? It's an Astrolab that hangs in the great library, they have focused on it in episode. I think that it is reasonable to say, It's axial tilt is likely variable (ie it wobbles) and that the "current" scholars in Westeros have no idea how it works, but to say that it can't be understood humans is a bit reaching IMO.

Vargr November 26th, 2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 272857)

It seems your link does not work - there is a "..." that I think means something has been cut out of the link.

Or maybe it is just me?

daplunk November 26th, 2018 12:15 PM

Try this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1paT...w?usp=drivesdk

Vargr November 26th, 2018 12:25 PM

@daplunk:

Much better - thank you!

kbs666 November 26th, 2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErinRigh (Post 273098)
Sure are wrong there. Ya know that metal thing they keep showing at the beginning of Game of Thrones? It's an Astrolab that hangs in the great library, they have focused on it in episode. I think that it is reasonable to say, It's axial tilt is likely variable (ie it wobbles) and that the "current" scholars in Westeros have no idea how it works, but to say that it can't be understood humans is a bit reaching IMO.

If the planet has axial tilt that the people understood enough to have astrolabes then that means they could measure the solar year, the tilt is measured against the plane of the elliptic after all. But there can't be a conventional plane of the elliptic because that would mean a stable solar year and stable seasonal lengths.

The only way the Known World works, beyond a handwave of "its just magic," is if the Known World's orbit is far more complicated than can be easily described. Perhaps it is actually co-orbiting two Jovian class giants which are themselves tidally locked together so that the Known World spins in some wild and extraordinarily complicated dance between the 2 planets as they spin around the parent star. This could result in long periods where the world was closer into the Goldilocks zone, summer, and farther out in the Goldilocks Zone, winter, or even periods where it was mostly occluded by one or the other Jovian resulting not in so much an eclipse but in long periods in the planets penumbra. I'm sure if you give the fellows at JPL a little while they could come up with a model of such a planetary system that might actually be stable. I'm just not sure how human life could survive on such a place.

Silveras November 28th, 2018 01:39 PM

Regardless of published works, Axial Tilt can be meaningless to some users anyway... such as my fantasy world where it is a flat "plate" that the gods drive the chariots of the sun and moon over each day and night.

If such a thing were implemented, I would hope it would not be in such a way that it was forced on those who do not care for such details.

In other words, Keep It Simple (I won't call anyone Stupid until they earn it, though).

ruhar November 29th, 2018 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 272857)

The link won't work for me. :confused:

EDIT: Never mind, I found your response with the working link.

ShawnM May 3rd, 2019 06:29 PM

I just wanted to say wow on the recommendation for https://fantasy-calendar.com It's extraordinary!

For what people have to pay for Realm Works I'd hope their development team would catch on to an obvious functional need requested several years ago.

Devs! Get on this! Even offer to the developers of that site a solid cash amount to port in the functionality and tie it to your timeline. Years, moon phases, calendar events, Then get the timeline function to let people pick custom years and setup eras.

There's a need for us world builders!

MNBlockHead May 4th, 2019 09:07 AM

For what we pay for RealmWorks we get a very useful and feature-rich campaign manager. We are not owed anything else. Of course, it behooves LWD to continue to improve the product, especially if they want us to pay for cloud subscriptions and to buy content from the content market.

Calendars have long been asked for, a desire fueled by it being a possible feature that was highlighted in the Kickstarter (if I remember correctly). There is a very vocal group of us that have been hounding LWD for this for years. What is painful is that much of the work has already been done, you can even see it in screen shots from early beta versions. But they have not released it as it is not end-user friendly yet.

Unfortunately for us world builders who care about custom calendars, for most users this is apparently not a priority. Other features have been voted for over calendars. Also, custom calendars do not seem to be enough of a competitive advantage nor something that is going to draw lots of new users and drive much revenue. No, I don't have any numbers to back this up. Just conjecture on my part based on years of conversation with other users and the devs in this forum.

LWD is a small company and they are facing stiff competition from Web-based campaign management systems and from VTT companies that are moving into campaign management. I would guess that get the Web version up and running is a high priority as is taking the Content Market to the next step where content creators can post their own material for sale.

Then you have individual player reveal, enhanced and customizable pins, and many more features that have equally vocal users.

Over the years, I've come to accept that custom calendars may not be seen for a long time in RealmWorks, if ever. If it happens, it'll be a nice surprise, but don't hold your breath.

kbs666 May 4th, 2019 11:50 AM

Calendars are a significant feature of the Kickstarter and the feature was not just a possible one.

Ash Nazg May 7th, 2019 11:25 AM

I understand that some people are really resigned to this, some have developed work-arounds, and some people really don't care, but it's an important part of serious campaign management. I'm particularly surprised (and somewhat concerned) by users' apparent resignation, given their past posts on the matter.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 278686)
For what we pay for RealmWorks we get a very useful and feature-rich campaign manager. We are not owed anything else.

I would say "feature rich" can still be lacking -- even lacking important features. Yes, there's no denying that RW has a lot of nifty management capabilities (like linking) but from a mechanical standpoint, custom calendars are an important feature of managing a campaign and campaign events, and not having it also hobbles other features. For example, timelines and even linking are less useful without custom calendars. From a role-playing standpoint, as some folks on this board have already pointed out, they really add to the immersion.

Quote:

Calendars have long been asked for, a desire fueled by it being a possible feature that was highlighted in the Kickstarter (if I remember correctly).
As Kbs666 pointed out, custom calendars were more than a "possible" feature. Custom calendars are highlighted as an existing feature in the Kickstarter video (at the 6:40 mark) and they're listed on the Kickstarter page under the "summary of the most important features" (note the phrase, "most important"):
  • Create custom calendars for your world. Link multiple calendars together and see how all the dates translate to your master calendar. Calendars can reflect different in-game cultures, lunar calendars, and worlds.
I'm sure at least some people purchased RW believing the tool supported custom calendars. This sort of feature is prominent -- and well-implemented -- in other world/campaign managers, such as World Anvil.

Quote:

... for most users this is apparently not a priority. Other features have been voted for over calendars.
There isn't enough data to support this assertion. The only thing we know(?) is that other features seem to have been voted higher in a survey. That does not necessarily indicate "most users." Surveys are notorious for receiving a small number of responses relative to the number of potential respondants.

Quote:

Also, custom calendars do not seem to be enough of a competitive advantage nor something that is going to draw lots of new users and drive much revenue. No, I don't have any numbers to back this up. Just conjecture on my part based on years of conversation with other users and the devs in this forum.
Similarly, I obviously can't speak for others but I, for one, started using World Anvil because they support custom calendars and integrated timelines.

Quote:

Then you have individual player reveal, enhanced and customizable pins, and many more features that have equally vocal users.
These are all good, useful, and desireable features (customizable pins!), but none of them are integral to a campaign setting/information, itself. I can't reveal date/time information to my players -- individually or all at once -- if I can't record the information to begin with.

Again, just my two cents.
~Ash

MNBlockHead May 7th, 2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Nazg (Post 278744)
I'm sure at least some people purchased RW believing the tool supported custom calendars. This sort of feature is prominent -- and well-implemented -- in other world/campaign managers, such as World Anvil

I was one of those. I believe my very first posts to this forum were to complain about what I felt was a "bait and switch" until I realized that they did not actually advertise custom calendars on the Web site from which I bought it (I was not part of the kickstarter). I had seen some videos that showed it and it was perhaps the main reason I bought the software. I came close to asking for a refund during the trial period, but put in the time to learn the software and came to appreciate what it did offer, hoping that custom calendars were just around the corner.

I've basically ditched using custom calendars in my current campaigns. But it is heartening to see the argument resurface. Now that content market is finally how, there is renewed hope at continued development. Maybe custom calendars with come to be after all.

Greebo May 7th, 2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

I'm sure at least some people purchased RW believing the tool supported custom calendars.

I was one of those, too.

I continue to use it, because it has many useful features, but without the calendars many of them remain somewhat shallow:

Quote:

I would say "feature rich" can still be lacking -- even lacking important features. Yes, there's no denying that RW has a lot of nifty management capabilities (like linking) but from a mechanical standpoint, custom calendars are an important feature of managing a campaign and campaign events, and not having it also hobbles other features. For example, timelines and even linking are less useful without custom calendars. From a role-playing standpoint, as some folks on this board have already pointed out, they really add to the immersion.

My point exactly.

Farling May 7th, 2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 278757)
I was not part of the kickstarter

From the Kickstarter's list of proposed features at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ampaign-tools:

Quote:

Create custom calendars for your world. Link multiple calendars together and see how all the dates translate to your master calendar. Calendars can reflect different in-game cultures, lunar calendars, and worlds.
(For reference for other readers.)

Ash Nazg May 8th, 2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 278764)
From the Kickstarter's list of proposed features at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ampaign-tools:

Thanks for providing the link to that, Farling. But, as I pointed out earlier, that's not just a list of proposed features. The page introduces the list as,
Here's a summary of the most important features: (emphasis mine)
Lone Wolf was pretty clear that Realm Works was essentially done and in beta; the Kickstarter was identified as being mainly for additional $$ to help with the cloud features and the Content Market (which were not included in that list of features).

Everything in that long features list is implemented, except for Custom Calendars. I hope now that the Content Market is finally released that LW will return their attention to the calendars. I'm just sayin'.

Maidhc O Casain May 8th, 2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

I'm sure at least some people purchased RW believing the tool supported custom calendars.
I was one if those as well.

DracynNacht February 5th, 2020 07:59 PM

Selective reveals

I'd really like to be able to choose which players get to see what.

pyremius March 26th, 2020 05:29 AM

Given the planned development arc for Realm Works, I would like to strongly encourage release of at least a "beta" version of calendaring that supports creation of multiple calendars tied to a common time unit and the ability to link Topics to one (or more) calendars for the creation of a timeline that can be used to plot future events and ensure historical events are kept in the correct order.

Even if the interface is unfinished it would represent a form of completion for one of the outstanding KickStarter goals.

While there are other features I would like to have, within the context of Realm Work's current development status I believe this would greatest positive impact for developers - both game masters and authors.

Dami March 26th, 2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyremius (Post 287278)
Given the planned development arc for Realm Works, I would like to strongly encourage...

There is no planned development arc for RW at present. Nothing is being done, nor will it for the foreseeable future. I'm quite sure there's another thread that says that even a 'beta' of calendar's can't be made available.

Greebo March 26th, 2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dami (Post 287312)
There is no planned development arc for RW at present. Nothing is being done, nor will it for the foreseeable future. I'm quite sure there's another thread that says that even a 'beta' of calendar's can't be made available.

Extremely sad, but true.

The last discussion about it was two months ago:

https://forums.wolflair.com/showthre...=calendar+beta