Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - User Projects (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   [Modiphius 2d20] Star Trek Adventures (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58838)

PGoodman13 January 5th, 2019 12:54 PM

Not at my computer at the moment, so have a question: As the dataset now stands, could I build a Klingon PC in the TOS era, even though the rules in the Beta Quadrant book says only TNG? Haven't had the chance to experiment there.

ETA: Yes, you can. This is good, because not everyone's campaign is the same. I'm glad the choices aren't so hide-bound as the official online creator app.

SSiron January 5th, 2019 04:19 PM

Currently with (at least my corrected/modified dataset) the creator, yes you can.

If you want the corrected dataset files and a list of what modifications were made, send me a PM and I will get them to you.

PGoodman13 January 5th, 2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 274483)
In step 4, Starfleet Academy, regardless of educational track chosen, you get 3 points for Attributes. While it's possible to spend them 2 on one Attribute and 1 on a second, the rules clearly state that you can spend 1 each on three different Attributes. This is on pages 116-117 of the core book.

The program right now only recognizes the "2 points on 1 Attribute, and 1 point on another" approach. This should be changed (when you finally get the chance) to allow for possibly raising three Attribs by 1 each.

Ignore this. I found a drop-down I'd missed before which enabled the option.

TCArknight January 14th, 2019 07:28 AM

I'm in process.of setting up a new laptop, so will be able to dive back into this shortly :)

SSiron January 14th, 2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 274928)
I'm in process.of setting up a new laptop, so will be able to dive back into this shortly :)

Let me know in a PM when that happens, and I will reply with a zip folder of all the files I changed with the text file log, along with some suggested modifications.

Duggan January 14th, 2019 09:59 AM

:) Why not branch the GitHub project and submit the changes that way?

SSiron January 14th, 2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggan (Post 274936)
:) Why not branch the GitHub project and submit the changes that way?

Because I don't have a github account or anything, and I am not the original author. :) Not to mention I am not a programmer. The text file with changes and suggestions/needed updates will be something that the original author will have to deal with because I have no clue how to.

The one time I visited any github page was to grab the files I needed and that was it.

TCArknight January 15th, 2019 06:21 AM

I'm back up and running now so can check on a few things. :)

Quote:

Ship Issues:
Resource Validation - shows Attributes and Disciplines instead of System and Department.
Resource Validation - number of Traits shouldn't be limited
Resource Validation - Character Points shouldn't show.
Weapons - Damage wrong, should be Scale + Security + Modifiers; seems to be just Scale + Modifiers.
Ship Details - Crew Details entry showing for other than Small Craft.

Hero Issues:
Career Events - Missing many events.
Career Events - Needs Attribute and Discipline added to description.
Talents - Choosing Veteran correctly adds the Veteran Talent, but it doesn't add the fourth Talent to the list; says have used 4 of 3 Talents.
I believe these are all of the current issues found, correct?

Other than what SSiron has for me. :)

PGoodman13 January 15th, 2019 10:38 AM

I think that's it for me so far. Haven't had a lot of time to work with the thing recently, but I hope tonight to knock out a few characters to test things.

SSiron January 15th, 2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 274968)
Quote:
Ship Issues:
Resource Validation - shows Attributes and Disciplines instead of System and Department.
Resource Validation - number of Traits shouldn't be limited
Resource Validation - Character Points shouldn't show.
Weapons - Damage wrong, should be Scale + Security + Modifiers; seems to be just Scale + Modifiers.
Ship Details - Crew Details entry showing for other than Small Craft.

Hero Issues:
Career Events - Missing many events.
Career Events - Needs Attribute and Discipline added to description.
Talents - Choosing Veteran correctly adds the Veteran Talent, but it doesn't add the fourth Talent to the list; says have used 4 of 3 Talents.

I corrected some of these issues in my own files, which I will get to you in a few moments in PM, I just wanted to correct one last thing before I update the files.

TCArknight January 30th, 2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSiron (Post 274982)
I corrected some of these issues in my own files, which I will get to you in a few moments in PM, I just wanted to correct one last thing before I update the files.

Thank you Ssiron. :) I’ve got your changes incorporated, and am working on the next update which will include stuff from the Operations Sourcebook.

I want to make sure I have all the issues covered, and everything back to working before I declare success. :)

PGoodman13 February 10th, 2019 08:11 AM

For a main character, is there a way to add a custom trait? Like, say, a character is a member of Section 31, or has a prosthetic device like Geordi's VISOR? The only traits showing for main characters are the various species, at least that I can see.

TCArknight February 10th, 2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 275673)
For a main character, is there a way to add a custom trait? Like, say, a character is a member of Section 31, or has a prosthetic device like Geordi's VISOR? The only traits showing for main characters are the various species, at least that I can see.

That's something I'm working on for the next update. Right now, I can see Traits and Focus needing that, do you see any other place it's needed?

PGoodman13 February 10th, 2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Does the same thing with Young Officer and the Untapped Potential talent, too, just as an FYI.

PGoodman13 February 10th, 2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 275674)
That's something I'm working on for the next update. Right now, I can see Traits and Focus needing that, do you see any other place it's needed?

Not at the moment, though I'm not seeing as issue with Focuses; there's already a Custom Focus entry.

PGoodman13 February 10th, 2019 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Focuses aren't showing on the character sheet when saved as a PDF. A sample is attached, if I did things right....

TCArknight February 10th, 2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 275678)
Not at the moment, though I'm not seeing as issue with Focuses; there's already a Custom Focus entry.

Thanks. :) I found that, but I also noticed there's no categories for the Focuses. I think I'll go through and add those, so the Custom is at the top, and the rest fall under the suggested Department.

PGoodman13 February 12th, 2019 11:49 AM

Ideally, you would find Unarmed Attack in the Melee section of the Armory tab. It's not there, however. Am I missing it somewhere?

TCArknight February 12th, 2019 03:09 PM

Nope, I missed adding it back to everyone. That will be fixed with next update.

PGoodman13 February 13th, 2019 07:25 AM

Do you have an ETA for the update? Not trying to push, just checking so I can kind of plan the next round of tests.

TCArknight February 14th, 2019 08:01 AM

I should be able to get it out by Saturday morning (CST) at the latest.....

TCArknight February 14th, 2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 275679)
Focuses aren't showing on the character sheet when saved as a PDF. A sample is attached, if I did things right....

I’ve got this and the “SPECIAL ABILITIES” header noted as issues as well.

I really appreciate the help on this!

SSiron February 15th, 2019 09:58 PM

You are probably already aware of and working on it, but out of curiosity, are you dealing with the descriptions for talents on the character sheet?

I noticed a while back that the talents will show, and one or two words of the description, then it gets cut off on the character sheet. There is also no 'Long/Detailed Descriptions' option for the character sheets. (I can't remember if I brought it up before, either in my fixes or the text file for updates made. I did not have any clue how to fix this issue myself, although if I delved deep in one of the other game files I could probably find a solution.)

TCArknight February 16th, 2019 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSiron (Post 275870)
You are probably already aware of and working on it, but out of curiosity, are you dealing with the descriptions for talents on the character sheet?

I noticed a while back that the talents will show, and one or two words of the description, then it gets cut off on the character sheet. There is also no 'Long/Detailed Descriptions' option for the character sheets. (I can't remember if I brought it up before, either in my fixes or the text file for updates made. I did not have any clue how to fix this issue myself, although if I delved deep in one of the other game files I could probably find a solution.)

I noticed that last night when trying to fix a couple of other things. If I can get that figured out, I may go ahead and release an update.... Just figured it out. I will probably do an update later today. :)

TCArknight February 16th, 2019 01:32 PM

New update should be available now. :)

TCArknight February 17th, 2019 09:46 AM

I had an inspiration last night. :)

Version 1.5 is now available . This adds Mixed Heritage as a species (separated at the top of the list) and allows for the proper selection of attributes based on species.

When Mixed Heritage is chosen as the species there will be a selection in the middle of the species tab where you select the appropriate species. However, before any attribute selection takes place, the button labeled "Add Traits" must be clicked. This will add the appropriate traits to the character and populate/make visible the attribute selections.

I'm also opening this up for anyone who wants to give it a whirl. :)

Add "https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnhleith4exfa1o/updates.xml?dl=1" to your update sources and this should allow you to fully use STA if you have the Authoring Kit/Savage Worlds data as part of your license. :)

Please! Please! Let me know your thoughts on this. :)

Thanks!
Thomas

SSiron February 17th, 2019 04:55 PM

I don't see any of your newest updates on the Github link I have, and that update source link doesn't seem to work for me. Unless I am doing something wrong with it.

Downloaded the file and added it to the game file folder, and added it to the sources list on checking for updates. Neither method worked.

TCArknight February 18th, 2019 04:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SSiron (Post 275903)
I don't see any of your newest updates on the Github link I have, and that update source link doesn't seem to work for me. Unless I am doing something wrong with it.

Downloaded the file and added it to the game file folder, and added it to the sources list on checking for updates. Neither method worked.

My bad.

Seems I forgot to push my changes from my desktop to the repository. :( They're there now.

If you've added that as a source, try deleting the existing stadventures folder first, then look for the Star Trek Adventures listing in the updates list. You should see an entry "Star Trek Adventures (v1.5)" near the bottom of the list. If you see that, download it and that should update completely.

(see the attached Source Screenshot.jpg and Source Screenshot 2)

You may need to exit and restart after adding the source.

PGoodman13 February 18th, 2019 06:47 AM

Aesthetic issue: Traits appear to be auto-sorted alphabetically. This sometimes results in minor weirdness, especially with mixed species Traits. With the mixed species character, the Primary species should be listed first, with the secondary species listed second, even if it's not alphabetical. While B'Elanna Torres had her Human side as dominant, and thus would show up correctly as Human, Klingon, a character like Saavik, whose Vulcan half was dominant should be listed as Vulcan, Romulan. It automatically is sorted to Romulan, Vulcan.

Okay, Saavik might actually be Romulan, Vulcan because of her early childhood before she was found and raised by Spock and Sarek, but you see the issue.

Also, using the game's standard notation, Species Traits should show up first, with additional traits (Section 31, Cybernetic Limb, or whatever) showing up after the species Trait(s).

PGoodman13 February 18th, 2019 07:23 AM

Gear Issue (Minor): Communicators and commbadges are two separate things, and should both be listed separately.

I run a late TOS-era game (2295), but allow a couple of TNG-era races since they were part of the Federation then (Trills and Betazoids, specifically), so I have both TOS and TNG eras checked when I create the character. When I give one of these characters a communicator, though, the program changes it to Commbadge because the TNG box is ticked, and this is not a good thing. It's not a major thing, to be sure, but it's not desired behavior.

PGoodman13 February 18th, 2019 07:33 AM

Mixed Species (Aesthetic/ease of use): Once the traits are added and the attribute increases are unlocked, it would be helpful/more intuitive is the first two attribute boosts were labeled as Primary, and the third as Secondary. This is mostly for clarity; the dropdown lists have shown the correct attributes, but it's not as clear as it could be. Something like this would help:

"Attribute +1 (P): [dropdown]"
"Attribute +1 (p): [dropdown]"
"Attribute +1 (S): [dropdown]"

TCArknight February 18th, 2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 275922)
Aesthetic issue: Traits appear to be auto-sorted alphabetically. This sometimes results in minor weirdness, especially with mixed species Traits.

<snip>

Also, using the game's standard notation, Species Traits should show up first, with additional traits (Section 31, Cybernetic Limb, or whatever) showing up after the species Trait(s).

I’ll see what I can figure out here. For someone with a Mixed Heritage, how should it display on the output?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 275923)
Gear Issue (Minor): Communicators and commbadges are two separate things, and should both be listed separately.

I run a late TOS-era game (2295), but allow a couple of TNG-era races since they were part of the Federation then (Trills and Betazoids, specifically), so I have both TOS and TNG eras checked when I create the character. When I give one of these characters a communicator, though, the program changes it to Commbadge because the TNG box is ticked, and this is not a good thing. It's not a major thing, to be sure, but it's not desired behavior.

I’ll provide separate items for next release. :)

I’m considering redoing the Species and instead of not making them available in an era, simply flag them as truly valid in their appropriate era. That way you could add them with no issue and get a warning. Then, ideally you could add an adjustment to make them valid. Would something like that work?

TCArknight February 18th, 2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 275924)
Mixed Species (Aesthetic/ease of use): Once the traits are added and the attribute increases are unlocked, it would be helpful/more intuitive is the first two attribute boosts were labeled as Primary, and the third as Secondary. This is mostly for clarity; the dropdown lists have shown the correct attributes, but it's not as clear as it could be. Something like this would help:

"Attribute +1 (P): [dropdown]"
"Attribute +1 (p): [dropdown]"
"Attribute +1 (S): [dropdown]"

Noted. Easy fix. :)

SSiron February 18th, 2019 10:23 AM

Ok, the new files are working now. I decided to test out the Mixed Heritage and encountered a slight problem. Detlans have the option of also being an Empath, yet the talent is still showing as Betazoid only.

When looking at it with the intent to edit, I realized I wasn't sure exactly how to do that without breaking the file set. Is there a way to change all the species talent pre-reqs from the 'isspecies' to requiring the species trait instead?

TCArknight February 18th, 2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSiron (Post 275933)
Ok, the new files are working now. I decided to test out the Mixed Heritage and encountered a slight problem. Detlans have the option of also being an Empath, yet the talent is still showing as Betazoid only.

When looking at it with the intent to edit, I realized I wasn't sure exactly how to do that without breaking the file set. Is there a way to change all the species talent pre-reqs from the 'isspecies' to requiring the species trait instead?

I’ll take a look at that.

Actually, the #isspecies[X] macro (in the definition.def) now looks for the “CountsAsSpecies.X” tag, so you would just need to add that tag to whatever species for a talent or whatever to become valid. I could probably add something like a “ValidForSpecies.X” tag too if think that would be useful?

SSiron February 18th, 2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 275934)
I’ll take a look at that.

Actually, the #isspecies[X] macro (in the definition.def) now looks for the “CountsAsSpecies.X” tag, so you would just need to add that tag to whatever species for a talent or whatever to become valid. I could probably add something like a “ValidForSpecies.X” tag too if think that would be useful?

So in order to change the Empath talent from Betazoid only to Betazoid or Deltan would be phrased how?

Also, the Nerve pinch, how would you change the damage CD from adding Security to adding whichever the higher discipline is of Medicine, Science, or Security?

If it is easier for you to simply make the changes and push out the newly edited sections, that would be fine too.

TCArknight February 18th, 2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSiron (Post 275935)
So in order to change the Empath talent from Betazoid only to Betazoid or Deltan would be phrased how?

Also, the Nerve pinch, how would you change the damage CD from adding Security to adding whichever the higher discipline is of Medicine, Science, or Security?

If it is easier for you to simply make the changes and push out the newly edited sections, that would be fine too.

You could change the expression to:
Code:

(#isspecies[spcBetazoid] + #isspecies[spcDeltan] <> 0)
Your second question is something I didn’t consider. :) I may need to add a DmgBonus tag or something of the sort...

SSiron February 18th, 2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 275936)
You could change the expression to:
Code:

(#isspecies[spcBetazoid] + #isspecies[spcDeltan] <> 0)
Your second question is something I didn’t consider. :) I may need to add a DmgBonus tag or something of the sort...

Thank you, that is helpful...

While fiddling with it, I am not sure if it is just me or not, but I noticed that the Career Events are not adding the bonuses to attributes and Disciplines like they should (and did previously).

Edit: Hmm... changing the expression for empath broke the file set with an error of "Syntax error in 'pre-requisite rule' script for Thing 'talEmpath' on line 1 -> Tag 'CountsAsSpecies.spcBetazoid' not defined"

Edit of Edit: Ha! I spotted it now... there is no id in the species definition for Betazoid... (betazo)

SSiron February 18th, 2019 11:31 AM

Ok, looks like that was just a glitch, but I also noticed something that has been partly bothering me for a while.

In the thing_disciplines.dat, you have the disciplines sorted alphabetically, instead of by section. (Command, Conn, Engineering, Medicine, Security, Science... instead of Command, Conn, Engineering, Security, Medicine, Science)

It doesn't really have much of an effect, except when someone decides to edit/create their own stuff and get the wrong label attached due to not realizing they may be different. (I know it would take forever to alter all the files to make corrections, just thought I would point out a possible issue for others to notice and deal with on their own.)

Also, I the career events issue was a minor glitch. It's working now, however, I did notice that at least one of the career events is adding a point to the wrong discipline. (Encounter with an Alien Being is adding to Command instead of Science.) I corrected that one in mine, but may have to go through all the events to make sure they are operating correctly.

SSiron February 18th, 2019 11:52 AM

You may also want to go through and double-check the ships stats. I noticed that at least the Oberth frame has the wrong stats for Structure and Weapons (1 point lower than should be).