Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Character sheets layout (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57432)

Loyal Bulldog January 15th, 2017 11:18 PM

Character sheets layout

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to get a nicer character sheet.

All the information is there, that's awesome, but I miss the layout of the original dnd sheets.

Regards,
Matthias

daplunk January 15th, 2017 11:39 PM

It is possible to make custom sheets apparently. I've no idea how to do it though. No one has tried for 5e to my knowledge.

Loyal Bulldog January 17th, 2017 09:38 AM

Thanks for the reply.

To bad, maybe it's in the instructies?

Alyksandrei January 17th, 2017 10:13 AM

According to this thread, as of April 2016 the ability to modify or create character sheet layouts was not available for 5e. No idea if it's been added since, but if you'd like to try you can check the various manuals and/or ask for assistance from the people in the Pathfinder section. I expect that the process would be similar if not identical for 5e.

ShadowChemosh January 17th, 2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyksandrei (Post 241755)
According to this thread, as of April 2016 the ability to modify or create character sheet layouts was not available for 5e. No idea if it's been added since, but if you'd like to try you can check the various manuals and/or ask for assistance from the people in the Pathfinder section. I expect that the process would be similar if not identical for 5e.

That thread has nothing to do with Custom Character Sheets. Its true you can not modify the sheet that comes with HL in the "Print Preview" area. But the Custom Output was designed to allow the ability to make custom sheets.

See THIS post and thread for details. But yes like others have said its NOT a 5 minute thing to do. In no way is it point and click. You will have to learn XSLT.

Loyal Bulldog January 18th, 2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 241771)
That thread has nothing to do with Custom Character Sheets. Its true you can not modify the sheet that comes with HL in the "Print Preview" area. But the Custom Output was designed to allow the ability to make custom sheets.

See THIS post and thread for details. But yes like others have said its NOT a 5 minute thing to do. In no way is it point and click. You will have to learn XSLT.

Thanks for the info. Sadly I'm an idiot with things like XSLT.

Is there any reason why LWD would make this so difficult or why they don't make different sheets to select?

daplunk January 18th, 2017 12:14 AM

I don't think it's a case that they went out of their way to make it difficult. Just that it was an already difficult process that they left open for us to use. They could have locked it down I imagine. It would likely take a fair bit of time and resources to create something that would be considered user friendly.

As for why they are not available. I for one am not hanging for new sheets. Give me new content, more monsters, more character options, equipment, spells, mounts. These are the things I would like to see more of which means there are two things I personally hope they are doing...
  1. Chasing a license with WOTC
  2. Working with popular 3PP companies to bring us more content

I suspect a number of people would have similar priorities.

ShadowChemosh January 18th, 2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loyal Bulldog (Post 241874)
Thanks for the info. Sadly I'm an idiot with things like XSLT.

Is there any reason why LWD would make this so difficult or why they don't make different sheets to select?

XSLT is a very popular and heavily documented scripting language. Thousands of sites can help with it including YouTube videos.

From that point of view LWD did not pick a difficult to use feature. They picked one that is the most common in the tech areas of software. Anyone that does almost anything with XML will have exposure to XSLT. So its a great concept I think when more of the forum users where IT people. Heck look at THIS post for a person that just did XSLT for Realm Works export.

I looked at "buying" software to help in making a point and click character sheet. Or spending the time to generate one. To custom make the software was into thousands of hour of coding. Never found a good solution I could buy.

dpmcalister May 30th, 2017 12:34 PM

I'm working on a custom character sheet for 5e but I can't seem to workout how to find some of the XSL values (specifically speed and saving throws). Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find such values? Thanks.

Loyal Bulldog May 31st, 2017 01:17 AM

Would love to help, but I have no idea.
But if you are finished, I'll be interested in buying it from you!