Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Any way to speed Realm Works up? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61448)

mrjane October 21st, 2018 01:35 PM

Any way to speed Realm Works up?

I have found this software to be incredibly slow to use. Opening a new tab takes 7-8 seconds each time. Everything seems to move in slow motion or stall at strange times. Does anyone else have these kinds of issues? I have a beast of a PC and everything else runs like smooth jazz, so I don't know why this program is such a bother.

Is there any way to speed it up? Or something I might be doing wrong?

Farling October 21st, 2018 01:39 PM

How many tabs do you have open? More tabs means slower performance.

Have you been importing data? If so, then you could try using the database options to copmress the database - it will shrink the database file quite a bit.

mrjane October 21st, 2018 01:40 PM

A few. 3-4. The speed never changes, whether it's one tab or 5. And this is in a fresh new realm with nothing imported.

EightBitz October 21st, 2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjane (Post 271854)
A few. 3-4. The speed never changes, whether it's one tab or 5. And this is in a fresh new realm with nothing imported.

It's one database for all realms, though. A fresh, new realm doesn't mean a fresh, new database. Do you have other realms with imported data?

weogarth October 24th, 2018 07:27 AM

The 64-bit stuff Rob was mentioning in the latest update may be the last best hope....err, sorry....Channeling some Babylon 5 there.

Seriously, the 64 bit architecture will definitely allow more memory to be used. I'd be shocked if other optimizations weren't already on the to-do list as well but there's always that whole prioritization thing.

daplunk October 24th, 2018 10:00 AM

What type of hdd is Realm Works installed on? A SSD is most definately recommended.

kbs666 October 24th, 2018 11:10 AM

If you're not up for stealing the previous version of Realm Works and traveling back in time a thousands years, oops Babylon 5 again. The things to always try when performance is tanking, make sure RW is installed on an SSD, compress the database if you've ever imported anything into any realm at any time, rebuild the index (a long shot in this case but it is a maintenance operation you can perform yourself) and finally uninstall and reinstall RW. If none of that works you're in the same boat we're all in hoping that 64 bit RW improves performance in the way we hope it does. Allowing the program to use all available memory rather than just 2GB should make things much better.

Farling October 24th, 2018 11:51 AM

And keep image sizes below 3000 x 3000 pixels

daplunk October 24th, 2018 12:38 PM

An important thing to note.

Opening tabs and changing tabs is quite system intensive. The way it works is the act of opening or changing tabs reads everything in that 'view' into memory. So if you have a view that contains everything then everything gets read in. Try and create some custom views with topics limited to just what you need for your session. This can help quite a bit.

Acenoid October 24th, 2018 01:48 PM

Problem for me is that I have multiple computers - would be nice to copy the preferences / tab settings. Probably possible with some effort by copying some settings - I never tried though.