Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   multiple instances of hero lab (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=46194)

drakahn99 October 18th, 2013 01:00 PM

multiple instances of hero lab

used to be i could run multiple instances of herolab on windows 8 x64 with np. subsequent attempts at opening herolab no longer work. did something change? or do i have a setting that got changed somewhere?

thanks

jbearwillis October 18th, 2013 01:07 PM

I'm not sure why you can't have more then 1 Hero Lab open at a time. I can open more then 1 running at a time in Vista, I do it all the time, it might be something in windows 8. Sorry I know this doesn't help you other then knowing it works in other window applications.

bodrin October 18th, 2013 02:57 PM

I'm running Xp, Vista and Win 7 all of those OSes run multiple instances of HL without a hitch.

I haven't tried Win 8 though, could it be that different parameter?

drakahn99 October 18th, 2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodrin (Post 167707)
I'm running Xp, Vista and Win 7 all of those OSes run multiple instances of HL without a hitch.

I haven't tried Win 8 though, could it be that different parameter?

initially i could until a couple months ago after an update with herolab it stopped i don't recall which update it stopped with, but may have been a windows setting that i inadvertently changed, however i have tried running as administrator and compatibility settings for xp, vista and windows 7, non of these changes would open a second instance of herolab.

AndrewD2 October 18th, 2013 03:24 PM

I had the same problem on 8, part of the reason I switched back to 7.

charlieluce October 18th, 2013 07:22 PM

I just opened three instances of Hero Lab on this Windows 8 (well, 8.1 now) laptop without a problem.

toddp December 27th, 2013 04:06 PM

Not sure if anyone posted a solution, but here is my answer.

I was in the same situation as drakahn99, Hero Lab always works, works great, but now only would let me run one instance at a time. I've had multiple windows open and used it this way since it came out in 2009.

I'm running Windows 7. I verified that it was not a problem with my computer. Word, Excel, Notepad, Internet Explorer, all would open multiple windows.

On another computer, I verified that Hero Lab would allow me to open multiple instances.

After many experiments (including a complete re-install, I went through the menu items)

--> I had checked Tools/Diagnostics/Enable Debug Tracing

CHECKED - only one instance
UNCHECKED - as many instances as I choose to run

I hope this helps someone in a future web search.

Regards,

Todd

pyremius July 25th, 2017 07:22 PM

Bumping to confirm that this is still the solution, and that people are still making this mistake. :)

Jamz July 26th, 2017 07:22 AM

Gah! Thanks for the bump!

I wondered why my tablet didn't let me open more than one at a time. (I usually don't need it so never bothered looking into it...)

Checked, and yep, had that option checked... #confirmed one of those people.

Shaman964 May 7th, 2021 05:22 PM

Thank you. I had that checked as well. This will lead to far less frustration in the future.