Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Sidekicks in Hero Lab? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=67533)

spannclann January 3rd, 2023 01:17 PM

Sidekicks in Hero Lab?

Are sidekicks in HL? I can't seem to find where I create them, nor am I smart enough to figure out how to code them apparently, since I have tried (just not sure where to start). Are there any hints, tips, tricks, files, etc. that someone/anyone can give?

Provos January 3rd, 2023 01:42 PM

On the content selection there seems to be a checkbox for Sidekicks under Essential Kit. Sidekick also seems to be available as a Race there are 4 of them. One for expert, spellcaster, healer, and warrior.

spannclann January 3rd, 2023 02:06 PM

Thanks, I totally missed that. I am curious, each Sidekick "race" states humanoid. Are these still used for animals, such as bears, wolves, tigers, etc?

Provos January 3rd, 2023 03:05 PM

I know is Tasha's it says they can be other creatures but it doesn't seem like it has been set up yet.

spannclann January 3rd, 2023 03:41 PM

Okay. I did find the way they did it was VERY clunky...

Provos January 3rd, 2023 03:51 PM

Unfortunately D&D only allowed the basic rules to be sold for character creation. The community has to get things to work while not having access to the base files. Maybe someone else knows a different way to use it or know how it works better then I do and they can answer.

spannclann January 3rd, 2023 04:38 PM

I would think to keep the Sidekick race, but set up "Variants" that would be the actual race of the Sidekick.

Fenris447 January 3rd, 2023 08:45 PM

I set them up. Add any NPC/monster block from the encounter builder. Go to that NPC's configure hero screen and add Tasha's as a source. Then go to the class tab and add any of the three sidekick classes as a class level.

If anyone can think of a simpler way to implement that, I'd love to hear it.

For future reference, any time there is a new feature that isn't obvious, I try to add an explanation in the patch notes.

Fenris447 January 3rd, 2023 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spannclann (Post 300574)
I would think to keep the Sidekick race, but set up "Variants" that would be the actual race of the Sidekick.

That would require "variants" of every single possible monster in 5e. Like...thousands of them. They'd have to each go in and modify the base sidekick race to match the stats of the race/monster they represent.

The way I set it up follows the way it's described by the text; pick a monster and grant it the sidekick features. You're describing a way where you pick the sidekick and grant it race features.

spannclann January 3rd, 2023 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How do you pick a race and grant them a sidekick feature?

I chose the race, selected the sidekick healer and get this error. The only way to not get the error is to choose the Sidekick Healer as the Race.