Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Hero Lab Classic 64-bit Windows Open Beta (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=62482)

DaveM April 23rd, 2019 08:09 AM

Hero Lab Classic 64-bit Windows Open Beta

A new 64-bit version of Hero Lab is now available for Open Beta. The new version should eliminate any low memory conditions that some users have run into, notably with large gamesystems and large complex portfolios. Currently this is only a Windows beta - a Mac 64-bit version will follow.

This beta may be installed safely on top of existing 32-bit versions, allowing either version to be used at any time. The gamesystems will automatically re-compile when switching versions, but otherwise they should be able to share data seamlessly.

While this version does not implement any new features, quite a lot of code got changed under the surface so testing in all areas is appreciated. Any issues discovered with the 64-bit beta we would appreciate knowing about - please let us know at our normal support email or in this forum.

UPDATE: The beta version has been updated and the new build is at this location:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/pl...in_install.exe

And this is mirrored at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/pl...win64_beta.exe

DaveM May 21st, 2019 12:29 PM

The 64-bit beta has been updated with some bug fixes. It is now available at:

manchuwook May 21st, 2019 05:50 PM

Does this also include the XSLT 2.0? 'Cause that would be awesome.

Silveras May 21st, 2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveM (Post 279010)
The 64-bit beta has been updated with some bug fixes. It is now available at:

The installer reports that it 'does not support the version of Windows you are running' ... was support for Windows 7 Professional discontinued?

Dwayne May 21st, 2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveras (Post 279023)
The installer reports that it 'does not support the version of Windows you are running' ... was support for Windows 7 Professional discontinued?

I get the same message. Also using Windows 7 Professional.

DaveM May 22nd, 2019 06:56 AM

Sorry, I must've gotten a parameter wrong in the installer. I've updated the installer so it should now support Win7 correctly - please re-try downloading and installing it.

Silveras May 22nd, 2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveM (Post 279036)
Sorry, I must've gotten a parameter wrong in the installer. I've updated the installer so it should now support Win7 correctly - please re-try downloading and installing it.

That worked.

However, there is now an error message about the license:
"Please Note!

Your installed license is configured for a different version of Hero Lab and cannot be used. You must obtain a new keyfile for the current version. To accomplish this automatically, please go to the 'License' menu and select 'Reactivate License'.

Until your license is properly updated, Hero Lab can only run in demonstration mode. For the current game system, you you will only have access to a limited set of the powers, skills, and abilities available in the licensed version of Hero Lab. You will also be unable to print or save your character. "

And yet, the User Content seems to be accessible with no issues. Printing is not enabled, as it declares it is not allowed in demo mode. It also cannot save a Portfolio.

DaveM May 22nd, 2019 08:04 AM

As a new version of the application, you will need to re-activate your license. Once you do, those behaviors should go away. It is acting as expected for a mismatched license version number.

Silveras May 22nd, 2019 08:28 AM

Yep. Sorry.. I saw that there was no "Reactivate" on the License menu. The 32-bit version prompted to re-activate the license as part of the installation process, so I think that's what threw me off.

Dwayne May 22nd, 2019 11:35 AM

New version installed fine. I do want to mention something I have been meaning to report and I was reminded of it today when I reinstalled Herolab beta. I use Webroot and every time I have to update Herolab Webroot blocks it and reports that Herolab is an untrustworthy program. I have to unblock it and give it permission to always connect to the internet. You may want to contact Webroot and have Herolab on the list as trustworthy.

Dwayne May 31st, 2019 02:54 PM

I have noticed that after the latest update it takes about 1 minute for the print preview to appear or to change from one page to another on the preview. It only took a few seconds in the past.

Sarelth June 1st, 2019 04:43 PM

Went to test the this, realized I needed a new key, having used all mine already I uninstalled it and it took my regular Hero Lab with it, now can not find a download for the 32 bit version. Like really? WTF.

charlieluce June 1st, 2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarelth (Post 279306)
Went to test the this, realized I needed a new key, having used all mine already I uninstalled it and it took my regular Hero Lab with it, now can not find a download for the 32 bit version. Like really? WTF.

Windows version
Mac version

ShadowChemosh June 1st, 2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarelth (Post 279306)

You don’t need a NEW key you just need to reactivate the key because its a different version number for the 64bit...

Sarelth June 1st, 2019 07:05 PM

Thanks to both of you.

demonlurking June 5th, 2019 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveM (Post 278346)
A new 64-bit version of Hero Lab is now available for Open Beta. The new version should eliminate any low memory conditions that some users have run into, notably with large gamesystems and large complex portfolios. Currently this is only a Windows beta - a Mac 64-bit version will follow.

With the recent announcement of the latest MacOS (10.15 Catalina) to be released in about 3-4 months not including support for 32-bit apps, what will timeline for the Mac 64-bit version look like? Hero Lab has been throwing a warning about being 32-bit for the last two years so this isn't exactly a new issue.

Tekwych June 5th, 2019 06:32 AM

LWD has stated that their 64 but Mac version is more stable and does not need a public beta to be ready.

Apple also showed new development tools that allow you to start a iOS or desktop app and then convert the code to the other on the fly. This could seriously shorten lead times and allow for desktop and portable product with feature parity without the need for two devopment teams.

Dwayne June 5th, 2019 01:32 PM

Another problem is when I click on an ability to move it up or down or try to type anything there is a delay of 2 to 3 seconds. Very frustrating.

hart8210 June 11th, 2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekwych (Post 279364)
LWD has stated that their 64 but Mac version is more stable and does not need a public beta to be ready.

Apple also showed new development tools that allow you to start a iOS or desktop app and then convert the code to the other on the fly. This could seriously shorten lead times and allow for desktop and portable product with feature parity without the need for two devopment teams.

Where did they state this? And did they mention an eta?

DaveM June 11th, 2019 09:11 AM

For those of you wondering about a Mac 64-bit, I've uploaded a 64-bit beta and set up a separate thread in the forums for the Mac beta:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...612#post279612

Dwayne June 11th, 2019 07:56 PM

Is it just a waste of time reporting problems? I have reported two problems and get only silence.

Parody June 11th, 2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwayne (Post 279623)
Is it just a waste of time reporting problems? I have reported two problems and get only silence.

Did you report your bugs using the appropriate bug reporting page? That puts your issues into their tracking system.

Dwayne June 11th, 2019 09:28 PM

The first post says to report them here or the bug tracking page.

DaveM June 12th, 2019 07:41 AM

We are definitely looking into the issues you have reported. We've been a bit busy getting both platforms up and running in 64-bit, now we are set on fixing outstanding issues.

EightBitz June 20th, 2019 04:34 AM

Can I use the same key for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions if they're both on the same computer?

Tekwych June 20th, 2019 07:03 AM

I can, and do, with the Mac 64 bit beta

EightBitz June 22nd, 2019 02:47 AM

When I start the 64-bit version, it tells me there's an update available. When I tell it to run the update, it downloads the update, then asks if I want to close the program and install the new version. I click OK. It then updates the "Program Files (x86)" folders.

I let the update finish and click to start the 64-bit version again. It's still telling me there's an update available. Rinse and repeat.

The 64-bit beta tells me it's on v8.8h, and that v8.8i is available.

The 32-bit version tells me it's on v8.8i and is up to date.

Farling June 22nd, 2019 02:54 AM

Perhaps it has been installed in two different locations? My beta shows version v8.9

EightBitz June 22nd, 2019 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 279821)
Perhaps it has been installed in two different locations? My beta shows version v8.9

I have both versions installed, 64-bit and 32-bit, but each version is installed in a single location.

EightBitz June 22nd, 2019 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 279821)

It's worth pointing out that the 64-bit installer says it's installing 8.9, but when I load the program and go to Help > About, the version number that shows up there is 8.8h.

Farling June 22nd, 2019 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 279823)
It's worth pointing out that the 64-bit installer says it's installing 8.9, but when I load the program and go to Help > About, the version number that shows up there is 8.8h.

Mine says "8.9 BETA".
I think I downloaded directly from the link in this thread, rather than upgrading from within HL.

ShadowChemosh June 22nd, 2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 279823)

I am pretty sure this means you started the 32bit version of the program not the 64bit version. Cause when I run the 64 bit it shows v8.9 Beta. When I run 32bit it says v8.8h. :)

EightBitz June 22nd, 2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 279828)
I am pretty sure this means you started the 32bit version of the program not the 64bit version. Cause when I run the 64 bit it shows v8.9 Beta. When I run 32bit it says v8.8h. :)

While I am rather computer savvy, I can never discount the possibility that I'm making a stupid mistake, so I usually try to double-check myself.

In this case, I'm clicking on the desktop shortcut that was created by the install.

The path for that shortcut is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hero Lab\HeroLab64.exe".

It seems that is the same location where I have the 32-bit version installed, but I do have two, separate executables. I'm not sure if the 64-bit version is just the executable, or if it also needs its own, separate folder for its own support files.

I am starting the 64-bit executable, though. That much I'm certain of.

EDIT: Also, if I'm starting the 32-bit version, why is it that when I explicitly start the 32-bit version, everything is up to date?

Farling June 22nd, 2019 02:27 PM

What appears to be the standard setup is that there is HeroLab.exe and HeroLab64.exe in the same folder (along with HLExport.exe and unins000.exe).

The file property details on HeroLab64.exe show a File Version of 8.9.0.868

The file property details on HeroLab.exe show a File Version of 8.8.9.869

The version for the 64-bit matches the filename of the download available in this thread at #2, http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....10&postcount=2

EightBitz June 22nd, 2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 279836)
What appears to be the standard setup is that there is HeroLab.exe and HeroLab64.exe in the same folder (along with HLExport.exe and unins000.exe).

The file property details on HeroLab64.exe show a File Version of 8.9.0.868

The file property details on HeroLab.exe show a File Version of 8.8.9.869

The version for the 64-bit matches the filename of the download available in this thread at #2, http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....10&postcount=2

So, I was doing something stupid. I was going to the link in the first post in this thread and missed that there was a subsequent post with an updated link.

The internal update mechanism is still not working as it should, but things like that are part of the beta-testing process. Asking the devs to please make note of this. I'll submit a support ticket as well.

Farling June 23rd, 2019 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 279839)
So, I was doing something stupid. I was going to the link in the first post in this thread and missed that there was a subsequent post with an updated link.

Yeah, if only they could edit their first post to keep the most up-to-date version linekd there :-o

LazarX June 28th, 2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwayne (Post 279052)
New version installed fine. I do want to mention something I have been meaning to report and I was reminded of it today when I reinstalled Herolab beta. I use Webroot and every time I have to update Herolab Webroot blocks it and reports that Herolab is an untrustworthy program. I have to unblock it and give it permission to always connect to the internet. You may want to contact Webroot and have Herolab on the list as trustworthy.

It could be that the installer download is not properly signed the way the release version is. In that case it's all on Lone Wolf to correct that problem.

LazarX June 28th, 2019 07:03 PM

If you have both the 64 bit and the 32 bit version installed does that require two different license numbers?

Dami June 28th, 2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazarX (Post 280011)
If you have both the 64 bit and the 32 bit version installed does that require two different license numbers?

No - they both use the same License.

ShadowChemosh June 28th, 2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazarX (Post 280011)

Nope just one. It will require you to "reactivate" the 64 bit after installing it but that is it. Be aware it won't prompt you to reactivate you just have to go to the License menu and do it yourself or you will be in demo mode. :)