Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Army Builder (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Using profiles at the Ruleset level [Fixed] (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=7613)

Taubay May 29th, 2008 11:59 PM

Using profiles at the Ruleset level [Fixed]

Hi all

I'm still working my way through my first roster and I wanted to ask a question about using different profiles

Basically I'm creating a roster for a WWI game

So the game has different distinct armies. For example British 1918 (called Armies from now on)

And in this army there are different army types, for example Infantry Battalion (called Battalions from now on)

In the Army list there are specific unit types, for example Infantry Company (called units from now on)

Finally in the Army there are different organisation types that units live in, for example HQ (called Orgs from now on)

So far so good these map into AB easily enough

Armies = Race
Battalions = Ruleset
Units = units as defined in the data files
Orgs = Profiles

So I have created a single Race with a single Ruleset with some profiles and some units, and this all works well, I can choose units and the validation from the profiles works
E.g. if I have a profile that has a max of 2 units, and I choose 3 units for this profile it shows an error

However my problem is this, in the rules different Battalions have different org amounts

So Battalion type 1 may be allowed 2 choices from the HQ profile
But Battalion type 2 may be allowed 3 choice from the HQ profile

In each case the units selected are the same it's just the amount of units that are allowed in the Battalion that is different

From what I can see profiles are assigned to a race, but I need to set different profiles at the Ruleset level
I have tried creating a selection of different profiles but I cant see a way to tie the profiles to the Rule set, the tag dropdown for units only allows me to select a race

So does any one know a way to do this?

The only way I can see to do it is to create a different race for each Battalion type and therefore create a different data file for each Battalion but that will mean a lot of duplication as each battalion type for a specific army will have the same units designated its just the profile I need to change

Cheers

Mike

Mathias May 30th, 2008 12:27 AM

On the profiles page, click the Minmax button within a profile - that's where you create a script that modifies the profile's ranges based on the ruleset chosen.

Mathias May 30th, 2008 12:41 AM

BTW, if you have multiple races for different time periods, may I suggest making British the race, and 1918 a ruleset?

Also, if there can be multiple battalions (for a huge game, perhaps), I'd suggest making them parent units to which companies are attached. You may want to look into AB's squad mechanism - that way, the user double clicks or drags a battalion into their roster, then drags all the companies they want onto that battalion. A validation (using the squad scope within the validation) checks that the companies selected are correct for the battalion chosen (correct companies for the battalion, all the mins and maxes fulfilled, etc.)

Taubay May 30th, 2008 01:48 AM

mgehl you are a real star

I'm in work at the moment but I'll have a play with this when I get home

I do like the idea of rasing the whole thing up a level as per your second post but I 'll try and get it working first and then make it better. in the good old agile programming way ;-)

Mathias May 30th, 2008 12:39 PM

These are the sort of questions I had to ask a number of years ago when I tried making my first AB files, so it's only fair I help others.

Mathias Gehl

Taubay May 30th, 2008 01:18 PM

Just to let you know this sorted out my problem so thanks for the help

don't worry I'm sure I'll be asking more questions ;-)