Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Copying custom data (encounters, monsters, NPCs) from one computer to another (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56964)

thenightgaunt November 13th, 2016 05:50 AM

Copying custom data (encounters, monsters, NPCs) from one computer to another

I recently picked up HeroLab after having it be recommended to me as a great 5e resource.
It's become apparent though, that I will need to create custom monster records and NPC records in HeroLab for the campaign of Princes of the Apocalypse I'm about to run.

For my games, I do all my writing at home on my desktop, but when I'm GMing, I use my laptop to pull up notes, encounters, maps and so on.

But I can't find clear information on how I can copy the custom monsters, NPCs, encounters and whatnot out of HeroLab on my desktop and over to HeroLab on my laptop.

The most found online are people complaining from over a year ago that HeroLab does not have an export function, but that was a while ago.

What solutions are there for copying that data over? Can I just copy files from the actual directory? There's got to be a solution to this. This is a $30 piece of software.

Mathias November 13th, 2016 09:46 AM

The content you create in the editor is stored as files on your computer. They'll all have the .user extension, and to find the folder they're in, from the Tools menu, choose Explore Folders and Game System Data Folder.

Encounters and NPCs you've created are also files on your computer. They'll have the .por extension (sometimes .stock, if you're creating a stock storage file). For their default location, Tools...Explore Folders...User Data Folder, and then from that folder, open portfolios, and then 5e (or whichever game system you're using).

For a tool that can create a launch-able, compressed installer from a lot of .user and .por files (so that you only have to move one file between computers), within Hero Lab, choose Help menu...Hero Lab Manual, and then follow the "Distributing Data Files" link, and follow those instructions.

charlieluce November 13th, 2016 09:48 AM

I work the same way, and yes all you have to do is copy the portfolio files from one machine to the other. I create folders for each campaign that I'm running or playing in rather than using default locations.

daplunk November 13th, 2016 12:41 PM

Would be cool if you could set the directory that HL checks for *.user files. Then you could just use a cloud solution like Google Drive, Drop Box.

Mathias November 14th, 2016 07:58 AM

daplunk - Help...Hero Lab Manual, then Miscellaneous Details, and then scroll down to the section called Folder Locations.

daplunk November 14th, 2016 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathias (Post 237813)
daplunk - Help...Hero Lab Manual, then Miscellaneous Details, and then scroll down to the section called Folder Locations.

This is amazing. I use Google Drive on both my laptop and PC so now I can point both machines to what is effectively the same folder!

Thanks Mathias!

Exmortis November 15th, 2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 237831)
This is amazing. I use Google Drive on both my laptop and PC so now I can point both machines to what is effectively the same folder!

Thanks Mathias!

GAH!!!

You mean to tell me I have been laboriously updating my desktop, my laptop and my Surface individually for all this time needlessly?

GAH!!

Well desktop already working off my OneDrive, once it is finished syncing I will change my laptop and surface to use it. One update, three systems.

I need a drink! :)