Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Duplicate Proficiencies (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55939)

FacetiousBlack June 1st, 2016 09:16 AM

Duplicate Proficiencies

I'm very new to HL and 5e, so I apologize if I'm missing something. (I tried a forum search, but didn't see a thread on this.)

If a character is gaining the same proficiency from both a background and a race (i.e. an Elf with the Far Traveler background getting Perception from both) should be allowed to select a different proficiency to replace the duplicate. Is this implemented in HL? I see that I can add proficiencies on the Class tab, but that red "too many skill proficiencies" is an annoyance.

Am I doing it wrong?

Hollis June 10th, 2016 02:58 PM

Is there a rule saying they get an extra skill to replace the duplicate? If so, can you point me to it?

dafrca June 14th, 2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollis (Post 230826)
Is there a rule saying they get an extra skill to replace the duplicate? If so, can you point me to it?

PHB Page 125, Sub-header "Proficiencies", third paragraph:

Quote: If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (Skill or Tool) instead. End Quote.

So it is not an "extra" it is a replacement. They end up with the same number of Proficiencies.

jbearwillis June 15th, 2016 06:09 PM

I am very happy some one else noticed this problem as well. I was getting ready to address this one, when I came across this post.

Mergon June 17th, 2016 09:56 AM

I believe there are adjustments that allow the adding of extra proficiencies that allows you to handle this issue. At least that is how I handle these issues.

jbearwillis June 17th, 2016 11:27 AM

Yes, but the rogue gives you Land Vehicles automatically and doesn't let you change it. You can add one with the adjustment, but you can not get rid of the Land Vehicle proficiency. So it prints on the character sheet. It would be more efficient if it was setup for characters to chose a different proficiency when this comes up instead of using adjustments. Just saying.

scarymike February 5th, 2017 06:56 AM

I agree this is a bit of a problem. It's easy to miss this rule, so adding via adjustment isn't a great solution.

Edit:

Here is a concrete example:

1. Take a race that gives you a skill, such as Intimidation (Half Orc)
2. Take a background that grants the same proficiency (Soldier)

At this point, by the rules, you should be able to pick a different skill to be proficient in, since you obtained Intimidation twice.

daplunk February 5th, 2017 10:38 AM

I've spoken to LW and they are looking at building this functionality in with a future patch.