Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Missing elven ethnicities? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=67720)

Bellona March 29th, 2023 03:17 AM

Missing elven ethnicities?

Hello, everyone!

Has anyone else noticed that new elf characters made in HL/PF do not give the option of choosing an ethnicity for that particular species/race?

For example, a newly-made Elf cannot choose Forlorn, Snowcaster, Ekujae, etc.

I'm wondering if my own copy of HL has broken somehow, if I've configured the character incorrectly, or if a bug has sneaked into the PF version of HL.

Therefore I'd like to compare notes with other HL users before reporting a potential bug. :)

Farling March 29th, 2023 03:54 AM

The PF dataset hasn't been updated for Hero Lab Classic in a long time.

Maybe try reinstalling the PF game system to see if that gets it working again.

Silveras March 29th, 2023 06:46 AM

They are linked to the "Heroes from the Fringe" Player Companion only, it seems.
They should be linked to the "Inner Sea Races" as well, I think, but as Farling mentioned, there has not been an update in a long time, and I do not expect one. Limiting updates to HLO only is a way to encourage people to switch.

Parody March 29th, 2023 02:22 PM

As far as I can tell the rules and definitions (names, specific descriptions, common and new alternate racial traits) for them are only in Heroes of the Fringe. Some aspects (history, common personality quirks) are mentioned in other books, but they're not defined with names and rules attached. The Advanced Race Guide does define a few Subtypes, while Inner Sea Races mentions Forlorn but none of the others.

I have not done an exhaustive search of the entire PF1 library, though.

Lord Magus March 30th, 2023 06:25 PM

The basic races have scripts unlocking subraces/ethnicities if certain sources are available:
Elf - People of the North
Dwarf - People of the Sands
Halfling - Heroes from the Fringe
Half-elf, Half-orc - Bastards of Golarion
Gnome - None

Bellona March 31st, 2023 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Magus (Post 301208)
The basic races have scripts unlocking subraces/ethnicities if certain sources are available:
Elf - People of the North
Dwarf - People of the Sands
Halfling - Heroes from the Fringe
Half-elf, Half-orc - Bastards of Golarion
Gnome - None

Thank you for that important piece of information!

I was about to go through the whole uninstall/re-install circus, but your very timely post saved me from doing that. :)

Silveras April 1st, 2023 07:00 AM

The People of the North only unlocks the Snowcaster heritage for Elves, The others are tied to Heroes from the Fringe.

Lord Magus April 1st, 2023 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveras (Post 301214)
The People of the North only unlocks the Snowcaster heritage for Elves, The others are tied to Heroes from the Fringe.

That is correct.

However, unlocking the access to elven ethnicities requires People of the North; only having Heroes from the Fringe does not do it.

I have reported this as a bug. For a home-based correction, a copy of the elf race, without the relevant script, could be used as a replacement.