Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   RealmWorks CSV Import Tool (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58156)

Farling August 6th, 2020 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathematical Pi (Post 290168)
I have a question. I'm currently building a excel CSV file that wil randomly generate all kinds of intel for towns/cities. I want to take it a step further and have it also generate one or more item shops or other buildings in these towns.

I know I can use the import tool to load up my towns, but is there a way to have it create "sub-topics" at the same time?

for example if my csv looks like this:
Town name, some town data; Shop name; shop data

Could I get:

Topic: Town name (with the town data in correct snippets)
-- Subtopic Shop name (with the shop data in the correct snippets)

You can create a parent/child structure, but my tool doesn't allow the parents to have any other data associated with them.

At the bottom of the structure section there is a button "add parent". That is where you can choose one of the columns in your data to use as the name of a parent topic.
All rows of your data with the same name in the parent topic column will be made children of that single parent.

Note that you can also create a hierarchy of parents in that same area.

Also note that you need to be careful to choose a category type for the parents that is from the same type (Topics for World Almanac, or Articles for Mechanics Reference) as the category type your are creating all your topics/articles from. My tool has no way to know which category types are for the world almanac and which are for the mechanics reference.

Within my tool I haven't given any ability to add information to the parent topics other than just the name/prefix/suffix for the topic.

---

As an alternative, I think that the tool allows you to have a single import file contain more than one category of topics, so if you define your town category fields and your shop category fields (both without parents), then you will end up with all the data being imported in one go.

If you were to use the town name of the shop as a prefix, then it would help you sort them for manually dragging once they are in RW (holding shift or ctrl, I don't remember which, while dragging topics within RW will reassign parentage without a popup appearing each time).

mathematical Pi August 6th, 2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 290169)
You can create a parent/child structure, but my tool doesn't allow the parents to have any other data associated with them.

At the bottom of the structure section there is a button "add parent". That is where you can choose one of the columns in your data to use as the name of a parent topic.
All rows of your data with the same name in the parent topic column will be made children of that single parent.

Note that you can also create a hierarchy of parents in that same area.

Also note that you need to be careful to choose a category type for the parents that is from the same type (Topics for World Almanac, or Articles for Mechanics Reference) as the category type your are creating all your topics/articles from. My tool has no way to know which category types are for the world almanac and which are for the mechanics reference.

Within my tool I haven't given any ability to add information to the parent topics other than just the name/prefix/suffix for the topic.

---

As an alternative, I think that the tool allows you to have a single import file contain more than one category of topics, so if you define your town category fields and your shop category fields (both without parents), then you will end up with all the data being imported in one go.

If you were to use the town name of the shop as a prefix, then it would help you sort them for manually dragging once they are in RW (holding shift or ctrl, I don't remember which, while dragging topics within RW will reassign parentage without a popup appearing each time).

So with the alternative:

I create my CSV with columns:

Town; Town data; Scribe; Scribe data; Armorer; Armorer data,...
I create a structure file with added categories Shop Scribe, Shop Armorer,....

I import the data and when filling in the shop categories I use the town names as prefix so RW will sort the town and its shops together. Then all I need to do after is drag them on top of the town?

Added question: Can I import maps with the tool? like if I put town maps into the excel?

Farling August 9th, 2020 06:43 AM

You can import images using the tool. I think it only works if the cell contains the PATH of the file containing the image, rather than directly storing the image inside the excel spreadsheet.

Acenoid August 12th, 2020 02:13 PM

I imported already pictures using the full path and that worked for me !

Happydevil43 October 28th, 2020 03:14 PM

Hi all,

I am at a loss.. I've been away from RW for a while and just trying to setup a campaign for the kids to run....

So i downloaded the latest importer
Got the beta .255 version
created my structure file
created my import file

when I put the bits into the importer and hit generate (it litterally flashes) and I can see a file created with data in it.

but when Import that file - it does nothing.....I thought maybe its my columns... so I created one with just location names and same thing... am I missing a step here?

*EDIT - Never mind... I am an idiot....I didnt notice that it wasnt on world almanac... *smacks head on wall!"

Farling October 29th, 2020 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happydevil43 (Post 291690)
*EDIT - Never mind... I am an idiot....I didnt notice that it wasnt on world almanac... *smacks head on wall!"

Lol - I'm happy the tool is still working :-)

Happydevil43 October 29th, 2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 291693)

oh it works.... it took me over an hour to delete all the duplicate location entries... because muggins here overwrote the backups and sync'd to the server before his miraculous discovery....

Madmaxneo June 6th, 2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

The tool works fine in converting the file for import but, Realm Works crashes when I try importing the file.

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate posts but for some reason I kept getting an error when trying to post so I had to reload the page and try to repost it again, but nothing was showing up. Apparently I am unable to delete the duplicate posts...

Note I am on version 256 for RW.

Madmaxneo June 6th, 2021 01:52 PM

Apologies for the duplicate post

Madmaxneo June 6th, 2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

The tool works in creating the file for import but, RW crashes at about 75% when importing the file. I am on version 256 of RW.

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate posts but for some reason I kept getting an error when trying to post so I had to reload the page and try to repost it again, but nothing was showing up. Apparently I am unable to delete the duplicate posts...

Madmaxneo June 6th, 2021 02:07 PM

Duplicate post, sorry

Madmaxneo June 7th, 2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Apparently it is working for everyone.
I am unable to import any of the files created by your CSV import tool. I can convert the CSV file for import but when I try the import process it only gets up to about 85% and then RW crashes. I tried a simple import with just a few things in a few columns and RW still crashes at the same time.

Could it be I have some setting wrong or maybe there are certain files needed for import like .net files?

I am on RW version 256
I am on the latest version of Windows 10 and have the latest update installed.
I am running everything off of an AMD 3900x with 64 gb of RAM and my C drive is a NVME drive. My GPU is currently a GTX 1070.

Farling June 7th, 2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmaxneo (Post 295346)
Apparently it is working for everyone.
I am unable to import any of the files created by your CSV import tool. I can convert the CSV file for import but when I try the import process it only gets up to about 85% and then RW crashes. I tried a simple import with just a few things in a few columns and RW still crashes at the same time.

Could it be I have some setting wrong or maybe there are certain files needed for import like .net files?

I am on RW version 256
I am on the latest version of Windows 10 and have the latest update installed.
I am running everything off of an AMD 3900x with 64 gb of RAM and my C drive is a NVME drive. My GPU is currently a GTX 1070.

Best thing is to send me the files via PM (or facebook msg) you are using for me to run them through the system. There must be something being generated which RW doesn't like.

Madmaxneo June 7th, 2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 295347)
Best thing is to send me the files via PM (or facebook msg) you are using for me to run them through the system. There must be something being generated which RW doesn't like.

I Pm'd you (through Facebook) both the CSV file and the structure file.

Farling June 7th, 2021 01:59 PM

FYI (for other people), the structure file indicates that the default categories have been modified. But when Realm Works tries the import, it reports "Cannot modify protected category", suggesting that there is a new protection added to try and avoid corrupting existing realms.

Farling June 27th, 2021 10:04 AM

Release 2.17 is now available

CSV files are now read as UTF-8 instead of ASCII. This should ensure that long-dashes and other unicode characters appear properly in the generated data.

Farling September 19th, 2021 04:12 AM

Release 2.18 is available

Images can now be embedded in XLSX files.
The data preview window will show only a blank cell for any cells containing images.
The generated RWexport file will have the image stored in PNG format.