Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Bootstrapping Question (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58610)

Eilserves June 15th, 2017 11:51 AM

Bootstrapping Question

I've tried to search the forums, so apologies if I've somehow missed this answered somewhere. I'm working on adding some items to a class, and it's using abilities from other classes. I can bootstap the abilities in, which works fine, except the ClSpecWhen makes it show up at a hard level, regardless of when it's picked. Is there a way to add a conditional or anything that will override this and make the item show up at the level it's selected instead of the level flagged in ClSpecWhen, or make ClSpecWhen be the level it was picked at?

For example, genericability1 is bootstrapped with ClSpecWhen 1, however it's not selected until 5th level. How do I make it show up on the class tab as being at 5th level instead of 1st?

Dami June 15th, 2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eilserves (Post 251439)
For example, genericability1 is bootstrapped with ClSpecWhen 1, however it's not selected until 5th level. How do I make it show up on the class tab as being at 5th level instead of 1st?

You should be able to open the bootstrap tab - click on "Tags" for the ability you want to change and set ClSpecWhen to the level you want the power available at.

Eilserves June 15th, 2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dami (Post 251440)
You should be able to open the bootstrap tab - click on "Tags" for the ability you want to change and set ClSpecWhen to the level you want the power available at.

That's what I'm doing, but doesn't address what I'm trying to achieve. Using my example earlier, let's say genericability1 can be picked as a secondary special ability at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. Character A doesn't pick it at level 1, but hold off until level 5. Character B, however, picks it at level 3. I'd like to be able to make it show up at level 5 on A and at 3 on B, rather than the level in the ClSpecWhen. Does that make sense?

TheIronGolem June 15th, 2017 04:13 PM

From your posts I am inferring that you've made Custom Specials that bootstrap Class Specials, so your players can determine which of those abilities they get and when. Is that correct?

Eilserves June 15th, 2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronGolem (Post 251445)
From your posts I am inferring that you've made Custom Specials that bootstrap Class Specials, so your players can determine which of those abilities they get and when. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.

TheIronGolem June 15th, 2017 05:06 PM

OK. The thing about Custom Specials (and most player-added picks such as feats) is that Hero Lab doesn't track the level at which they're selected. It knows that you get X picks at level Y, but it doesn't know that you took THIS pick at THAT level. Essentially HL only tracks the "final" state of the character in most ways.

That makes it pretty tricky, perhaps prohibitively so, for you to assign an appropriate ClSpecWhen tag to the bootstrapped ability.

Now while HL doesn't track the level at which a given custom special is taken, it does track the order in which they were added to the character, through the xIndex field. So something you could do would be to try to infer from xIndex what level the ability was taken, according to whatever schedule the class uses. Like, if the xIndex is 1 then this is the second choice, which is made at level 5, so you'd tag it with ClSpecWhen.5 (straw numbers for sake of an example). However, players may fail to add the abilities in the order they're supposed to be taken, which could give you an inaccurate picture. It'll also fall apart completely if they ever gain choices from another source, like the "Extra X" feats that are common in Pathfinder.

Bottom line: if it isn't mechanically important when an ability was taken, I'd go with just using ClSpecWhen.1 and live with the inaccuracy. If it is, maybe try using the "choose activation amount" option and use it as a "taken at level X" indicator.

Eilserves June 15th, 2017 05:19 PM

Thanks TIG. It's honestly just aesthetics. Mechanically it has no impact, so I can live with it. :)

RavenX June 16th, 2017 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eilserves (Post 251448)
Thanks TIG. It's honestly just aesthetics. Mechanically it has no impact, so I can live with it. :)

I get the impression you intended this to be a custom special that multiple classes can choose. You may want to look at how certain abilities that already do this are handled in hero lab. I think some of class abilities taken as custom do indeed reach across for multiple classes.

Easiest workaround is to have each class that gets Generic Ability 1 as a choice is to make different copies for each class. That way if a Fighter can choose it at 1st level but a Rogue has to wait until 5th to pick it you can set up an Expr-Req on the ability itself that looks at the class level of the class. There is a macro for it in pathfinder #classlevel[Class] >= x, where x is the minimum level needed to pick the ability. Check the documentation for the editor in the help file for information on the macros. You can also just find a custom ability that has a level requirement and look at a New(Copy) of it in the editor and learn what the macro combo is.

Eilserves June 16th, 2017 01:20 AM

No, it's one class, and the abilities pretty much come from one class as well, to be honest. I've been working on adding in some of the material missing from the Talented Monk in the community pack that ShadowChemosh has put out, as I'm playing one in a campaign and abilities were not yet there. ;) Once I got started with adding the stuff specifically I needed for my character, I just sort of kept going. But as the various "normal Monk Abilities" are talents or edges in this variation, and can be selected at levels other than when a "standard" Monk gets them, it creates the visual disconnect I was trying to fix. Putting in level requirements isn't the issue, it's just, again, a visual display thing that I was trying to fix. I could go the more complex route of making new copies of everything but, why re-invent the wheel if it is literally the same ability? :)

RavenX June 16th, 2017 01:41 AM

If your making user chosen abilities, they go under custom abilities.

If your making class features that get bootstrapped to the class, they go under Class Feature. The thing is, you have to go into the class to bootstrap Class Features. Now you could make a copy of the class/archetype and bootstrap the items to that, if they are not meant to be chosen by the user.

Based on what you said, they are intended as custom abilities. You just create them as normal monk custom abilities and set the level requirements in an expr-req using the macro. That's how its done. For a 5th level monk ability the Expr-req text should be something like: Monk 5th level required. It's literally just adding these two lines in the Expr-req to enforce the level requirement.