Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Import mindmap as a storyboard? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57072)

EightBitz November 23rd, 2016 03:25 PM

Import mindmap as a storyboard?

The main mindmapping program I'm thinking of is Freemind. It saves in .mm format. It can also export to XML, HTML and XHTML.

Would it be possible for a user to create some sort of template for importing from Freemind's XML export into Realmworks's Storyboard?

Or would it be practical for LWD to create some sort of import function for mindmaps?

I know this won't be a priority, but is it a possibility?

DaFranker November 23rd, 2016 05:56 PM

Since we'll have the full XSD for the export/import format for the Realms, and we'll be fully able to generate new XML data externally and then import it into RealmWorks, then there's definitely always the possibility down the line of writing your own conversion script for this task.

However, mindmaps don't really sound like the best way to create the original data for this, as mindmaps only support top-down hierarchies and each node can only ever have a single unique "parent" or precedent or upper node. RealmWorks Storyboards do not have this constraint, and multiple plot points can "lead to" the same plot point, or even loop.

EightBitz November 23rd, 2016 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFranker (Post 238564)
Since we'll have the full XSD for the export/import format for the Realms, and we'll be fully able to generate new XML data externally and then import it into RealmWorks, then there's definitely always the possibility down the line of writing your own conversion script for this task.

However, mindmaps don't really sound like the best way to create the original data for this, as mindmaps only support top-down hierarchies and each node can only ever have a single unique "parent" or precedent or upper node. RealmWorks Storyboards do not have this constraint, and multiple plot points can "lead to" the same plot point, or even loop.

Quit using logic and reason to foil my plans!

DaFranker November 23rd, 2016 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 238565)
Quit using logic and reason to foil my plans!

I'll use vanity and mindhacks then.

Did you know that 98% of RealmWorks users find the Storyboards display of RealmWorks much more visually appealing that the rendered mindmaps of Freemind?

Many have even expressed comments such as "Wow, it's so much clearer what's going on" and "Dude, rob even said mindmaps are useless, you can trust rob".

rob November 23rd, 2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFranker (Post 238567)
I'll use vanity and mindhacks then.

Did you know that 98% of RealmWorks users find the Storyboards display of RealmWorks much more visually appealing that the rendered mindmaps of Freemind?

Many have even expressed comments such as "Wow, it's so much clearer what's going on" and "Dude, rob even said mindmaps are useless, you can trust rob".

I'm guessing that your "statistic" here is pulled from somewhere the sun doesn't usually shine. :) While the sentiment echoes my personal feelings on the subject, I don't believe there is any scientific data to back that up - only empirical data.

As for the attributed quote, I have to take exception. I can assure you that someone, somewhere, at some point, will take your comment here and repeat it elsewhere as if it were fact. :( So I need to go on the record proclaiming that the above "quote" was never made by me. Possibly someone else named Rob, but not the person with that name on these forums.

Yes, I've become jaded, even cynical. Unfortunately, that's one of the many lessons that 18 years of doing consumer products for gamers has pummeled into me. <sigh>

MNBlockHead November 23rd, 2016 08:29 PM

I use X-Mind. I don't use it to plot out stories—not sure why—I guess I find that simple enough to do in RW, so why bother with another tool. But I did use X-Mind to build pantheons. Being able to import each node as a topic in RW with relationships would be pretty cool. So a plus 1 why-not vote, but if I had to weight my features requests, this would be way back in the line.

DaFranker November 23rd, 2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 238570)
I'm guessing that your "statistic" here is pulled from somewhere the sun doesn't usually shine. :) While the sentiment echoes my personal feelings on the subject, I don't believe there is any scientific data to back that up - only empirical data.

As for the attributed quote, I have to take exception. I can assure you that someone, somewhere, at some point, will take your comment here and repeat it elsewhere as if it were fact. :( So I need to go on the record proclaiming that the above "quote" was never made by me. Possibly someone else named Rob, but not the person with that name on these forums.

Yes, I've become jaded, even cynical. Unfortunately, that's one of the many lessons that 18 years of doing consumer products for gamers has pummeled into me. <sigh>

Haha sorry, I was definitely counting on someone calling bullshit on all that ;)

kbs666 November 23rd, 2016 08:37 PM

I would like some more features in the storyboard but closer to classical software diagramming tools rather than mindmapping stuff.

DaFranker November 23rd, 2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 238576)
I would like some more features in the storyboard but closer to classical software diagramming tools rather than mindmapping stuff.

I'm all for this as well, if RW have the genius required to make more elaborate diagramming tools somehow user friendly. There's very few of those out there.

EightBitz November 24th, 2016 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFranker (Post 238574)
Haha sorry, I was definitely counting on someone calling bullshit on all that ;)

Well, I did ask you to stop using logic and reason. :-)