Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - d20 System (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Is it possible to make an Antimagic condition? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=67684)

draco963 March 12th, 2023 04:14 PM

Is it possible to make an Antimagic condition?

So, my players have come across a Beholder. I didn't think this through in advance, and have since discovered that there isn't an easy way (that I've been able to find) to trigger an antimagic condition on the PCs as they go in and out of the beholder's antimagic cone.

Has anyone experimented with this before? Would trying to hammer this together even be worth the effort? My PCs have a lot of magic items, so trying to track the changes by hand is going to be an utter nightmare...

Thanks!

Sendric March 13th, 2023 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draco963 (Post 301105)
So, my players have come across a Beholder. I didn't think this through in advance, and have since discovered that there isn't an easy way (that I've been able to find) to trigger an antimagic condition on the PCs as they go in and out of the beholder's antimagic cone.

Has anyone experimented with this before? Would trying to hammer this together even be worth the effort? My PCs have a lot of magic items, so trying to track the changes by hand is going to be an utter nightmare...

Thanks!

So one of the problems we run into with something like this is not all magic items are scripted correctly. So, the answer is it really depends on which items everyone has and what they do. It *should* be as simple as assigning a tag like Helper.Disabled, but that probably won't get everything. That said, magical weapons and armor should have a mechanism that will work. I'll look into it.

Sendric March 13th, 2023 04:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So apparently there isn't a Helper.Disabled tag. There are FtDisable and SpcDisable tags which are for feats and special abilities respectively.

Looking at a few wondrous items, things that actually have scripts are based entirely on whether the items are equipped. A complete solution will be time consuming, but we could narrow in on the items your players are using for the time being and start there.

I've created an adjustment that removes the enhancement bonus from weapons and armor and applies the tag "User.Disabled" to non-weapon, non-armor magic items. This tag will do nothing unless the magic item has the line "doneif (tagis[User.Disabled] <> 0)" at the top of the script. I've tested this with the only wondrous item in the attached file, and it does appear to work, though I doubt it's an item of any significance to you.

Anyway, long story made longer, with the new adjustment, you should be able to modify any magic items your characters are using that have a script to suppress the effects. Please check it out and let me know. If you need help adding the code to various items, please provide me a list of magic items your characters are using.

Update: for the next update, I've changed this to add the User.Disabled tag to weapons and armor as well so they can affect things like item powers. Since I'm here, I've also updated some item powers to actually do what they are supposed to do (like provide damage resistance).

draco963 March 13th, 2023 09:31 AM

Sendric, you are, ever and always, an absolute mensch. Thank you.

Even if I have to add this script to each of the magic items they currently have, spending 5-10 hours doing that now will make game-night much easier and quick-flowing.

Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it.

Oh, as a follow-up, if I find bugs in the D20 Commuity set (like how the Wand of Invisibility quotes Hold Person instead), where may I report those?

draco963 March 13th, 2023 05:43 PM

OK, I think I've mis-understood you...

I took the updated Core Book Mods file and replaced the one in my system (renamed the original to .bak, just in case). Reloaded my heroes, and added the doneif line to the scripts of one of their specialty armour that I'd made them.

But, I don't think I understand how to apply the Disabled tag. The Disabled condition in the Adjust tab doesn't seem to be it, and I can't see a Disabled available in the Temporary or Permanent adjustments lists...

Also, I'm realizing that, if I've understood you correctly (entirely possible i haven't) such a script would only work if the item had scripts already, like many wondrous items do. But what about simple magic items, like a +1 Plate that would be made through the "New Magic, Custom, or Masterwork armour of size:" button in the hero's Armour tab? Such an item has no script, indeed, doesn't even have it's own seperate entry in the .user files. So, would that tag even work for those types of 'regular' magic items?

Thank you for your time Sendric.

Sendric March 14th, 2023 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draco963 (Post 301113)
OK, I think I've mis-understood you...

I took the updated Core Book Mods file and replaced the one in my system (renamed the original to .bak, just in case). Reloaded my heroes, and added the doneif line to the scripts of one of their specialty armour that I'd made them.

But, I don't think I understand how to apply the Disabled tag. The Disabled condition in the Adjust tab doesn't seem to be it, and I can't see a Disabled available in the Temporary or Permanent adjustments lists...

Also, I'm realizing that, if I've understood you correctly (entirely possible i haven't) such a script would only work if the item had scripts already, like many wondrous items do. But what about simple magic items, like a +1 Plate that would be made through the "New Magic, Custom, or Masterwork armour of size:" button in the hero's Armour tab? Such an item has no script, indeed, doesn't even have it's own seperate entry in the .user files. So, would that tag even work for those types of 'regular' magic items?

Thank you for your time Sendric.

I created a new adjustment called Antimagic Field in the file I sent you. This is what applies the tag. (Sorry...looks like I didn't specify the name of the adjustment in my comment above.)

You are correct in understanding that this tag only functions if a magic item already has a script. Those that don't generally don't do anything and can simply be ignored while in the antimagic field, except:

There is a second script on the adjustment I created that removes the enhancement bonus provided by +1,+2, etc for weapons and armor. If a weapon or armor has a script in addition to the normal bonus enhancements, that will require making a change to the file I sent you.

Let me know if this is the case or if there are other magic items you're having trouble figuring out how to disable.

Sendric March 14th, 2023 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draco963 (Post 301111)
Oh, as a follow-up, if I find bugs in the D20 Commuity set (like how the Wand of Invisibility quotes Hold Person instead), where may I report those?

Bug reporting thread:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=12785

I'll make a note regarding the wand.

draco963 March 14th, 2023 03:43 PM

:D:D:D:D

Hahahaha!!!! I'm dancing!!! It works it works it works!!!! Thank you SO much Sendric!

I dunno why it didn't work the first time. I copied the new file over again, but thsis time deliberately chose to re-compile the game files, and Antimagic comes up now. It works beautifully. The script bit works perfectly too, all my damned Legacy weapons turn off when that adjustment turns on, it's absolutely gorgeous.

This is simply wonderful, so fantastic, thank you so much for your help.

While I've got your ear: there's no way to replace"glamer" with "glamour", is there? I've tried to find a simple way, but I think I'd have to replace every single individual instance, wouldn't I, huh?

Sendric March 15th, 2023 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draco963 (Post 301117)
:D:D:D:D

Hahahaha!!!! I'm dancing!!! It works it works it works!!!! Thank you SO much Sendric!

I dunno why it didn't work the first time. I copied the new file over again, but thsis time deliberately chose to re-compile the game files, and Antimagic comes up now. It works beautifully. The script bit works perfectly too, all my damned Legacy weapons turn off when that adjustment turns on, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Any time you make a change to a user file, whether directly editing or copying a new file in, you have to recompile. Otherwise, the program doesn't know anything changed.

Quote:

This is simply wonderful, so fantastic, thank you so much for your help.
No problem. Did you have to make many changes to other items? I'm going through some stuff to update them for this new addition, but I doubt I'll get to everything. If you want to make sure you're stuff doesn't get blown up with the next release, let me know what items you modified.

Quote:

While I've got your ear: there's no way to replace"glamer" with "glamour", is there? I've tried to find a simple way, but I think I'd have to replace every single individual instance, wouldn't I, huh?
Yes. There are text editor programs that allow you to mass change all instances of "glamer" to "glamour". Visual Studio Code being one example.

HOWEVER,
  • since the official game spells it "glamer" this won't be changed in the community set, so you'd have to do it after every update.
  • I can't guarantee it won't break something.

draco963 March 15th, 2023 04:23 PM

Thank you Sendric.

With the exception of their Legacy items, all of which I've custom-built, they just have a couple of stock items, and all of those appear to working properly with the Adjustment tag as you've already designed it. I rarely modify existing things, in case they get bombed by an update, lol, so I usually make a copy and customize it as required. Then, if it breaks anyways, I know exactly what I've copied and changed and can fix it.

I've tried a mass find-&-replace with Notepad++ in the past. It definitely broke things, lol! Oh well. Just astounds me that WotC misspelt glamour so badly; even Webster's normally lists "glamor," how on earth did they get to "glamer"? Makes my teeth itch... smh lol Ah well, it is what it is.

Thanks for everything! And I'll be sure to use the bug report.