Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Need Your Opinion: How to treat updated monsters in Monsters of the Multiverse (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=66682)

Fenris447 January 15th, 2022 10:06 AM

Need Your Opinion: How to treat updated monsters in Monsters of the Multiverse

In case you didn't know, the upcoming Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse is almost entirely reprints of existing races and monsters. I've already detailed how I plan to handle the player races in this post.

So this post concerns how we want to handle the updated monsters. The vast majority of them are updated to adhere to WotC's deisgn goals, such as removing spell slots (replacing them with innate casting).

The 2021 Errata also makes similar changes to some monsters in adventures, like Storm King's Thunder and Tales from the Yawning Portal. And we have been told to expect a similar Monster Manual overhaul in 2024, essentially as a 5.5e for the game's 50th anniversary. And on top of all that, there are errata changes to SRD monsters that we cannot easily fix in the Community Pack.

With all that in mind, I want to know how y'all would want to see these changes handled. Do we treat updated monsters as their own versions, or do we update whatever we can, replacing the old versions? Let me know in the poll and comment in the thread with your thoughts.

I want opinions; I can't promise I'll go with the majority (sometimes coding may force my hand, sometimes I may find a better way, etc.), but I at least want to know if my preference is wildly different from everyone else's.

jbearwillis January 15th, 2022 04:27 PM

I would go with updating as their own monsters, that seems the easiest for you, and have monsters to choose from would be ok with me. I mean you can use the old ones and throw in the new ones, or vise versa to throw the players off. Your players wouldn't know which you were using. Just my two cents, but whatever works best for you is ok with me.

Enforcer84 January 20th, 2022 01:26 PM

I like the idea of choosing the supplement and getting it's version...but I'd also be fine with just the newest versions.

Fenris447 January 20th, 2022 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enforcer84 (Post 298017)
I like the idea of choosing the supplement and getting it's version...but I'd also be fine with just the newest versions.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way with the Encounter Builder. Every monster we have programmed is automatically in there, regardless of whether you've chosen its source for your hero. That's because all of those monsters are treated as their own hero, with their own source selections.

Believe me, if I could filter the Encounter Builder, I absolutely would!

Enforcer84 January 22nd, 2022 10:16 PM

in that case I'd just replace.