Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Realm imports crashing (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63665)

nightpanda2810 January 10th, 2020 05:45 PM

Realm imports crashing

Initial import works fine. However, if I re-import (due to an added snippet or article) it crashes 100% of the time. Anyone having similar issues? Multiple computers, beta build.

See http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63654 for how I do imports/exports.

daplunk January 10th, 2020 06:33 PM

Have you installed the patch in the sticky?

nightpanda2810 January 10th, 2020 06:39 PM

Yup, on 255. Error I get is "object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Note this is happening on 2 realms, game system one that's huge, and world one that's really small in comparison.

Been doing a bunch of testing since I posted. Created new realms with minor changes and imported fine. Seems my 2 big realms are somehow corrupt. One I can rebuild in a couple of hours. The other has over 2000 articles in it, no rebuilding that one... Literally months worth of work in it.

kbs666 January 11th, 2020 12:22 AM

Before you do that, had you edited any of the imported topics in the destination realm?

nightpanda2810 January 11th, 2020 08:50 AM

With the realm I first noticed the issue with I have no idea. Hasn't been touched in months.

However, part of the testing I did tested this.
Created a blank realm.
Created a new export of the affected realm with no changes.
Imported into the blank realm without issue.
Added a new topic to the source realm and exported. No other modifications.
Imported into the no longer blank realm, and got a crash.

These crashes happen whether I use overwrite settings or not.

nightpanda2810 January 11th, 2020 09:46 AM

Just had a couple of successful imports. Downgrade to build 253 did the trick.

Export files created with 253 worked without issue.

Export files created with 255 do not work, however an expected error due to version numbers rather than a crash.

Thorkull January 30th, 2020 11:57 AM

Good info, just ran into this myself last night. I'll try downgrading when I get home. Has anyone tested with 254?

nightpanda2810 January 30th, 2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorkull (Post 285411)
Good info, just ran into this myself last night. I'll try downgrading when I get home. Has anyone tested with 254?

254 has its own import/export bug (unsure if related to this) so I didn't try with it.

Side note, I did open a support case when this happened. Haven't had a resolution yet, but have gotten responses. You should open one as well (and anyone else with this) so they're aware it's not just me :)

Thorkull January 30th, 2020 08:46 PM

Will do -- where can I get the build 253 installer?

nightpanda2810 January 31st, 2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorkull (Post 285434)
Will do -- where can I get the build 253 installer?

I lucked out by changing the build number in the download link for 255.

https://www.wolflair.com/download/rw...53_install.exe

Thorkull January 31st, 2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightpanda2810 (Post 285452)
I lucked out by changing the build number in the download link for 255.

https://www.wolflair.com/download/rw...53_install.exe

I think I tried editing every other download link but that one. Thanks again!

ruhar February 1st, 2020 10:23 PM

I tried installing 253, uninstalling RW without removing the remaining Realm Works program data then installing 253, and uninstalling RW with full removal of the program data then installing 253. I keep getting the same error message:

"Your Realm Works database version is too new for this version of the Realm Works
software. This version of Realm Works cannot use this database and will exit.

"The build number for Realm Works you are attempting to run is 253. The database has been used with Realm Works with a build number of 254."

What did I do wrong or need to do?

Farling February 2nd, 2020 06:46 AM

I think that other people also deleted their local database, and synced their data back down from the cloud before installing version 253.

You would lose any local changes (that haven't already been synced) if you do this, however.

nightpanda2810 February 2nd, 2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruhar (Post 285503)
I tried installing 253, uninstalling RW without removing the remaining Realm Works program data then installing 253, and uninstalling RW with full removal of the program data then installing 253. I keep getting the same error message:

"Your Realm Works database version is too new for this version of the Realm Works
software. This version of Realm Works cannot use this database and will exit.

"The build number for Realm Works you are attempting to run is 253. The database has been used with Realm Works with a build number of 254."

What did I do wrong or need to do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 285508)
I think that other people also deleted their local database, and synced their data back down from the cloud before installing version 253.

You would lose any local changes (that haven't already been synced) if you do this, however.

This. When I was doing my initial troubleshooting this was part of it before I even downgraded, so didn't think to mention earlier. Just make sure you sync first.

ruhar February 2nd, 2020 08:46 PM

I renamed the folder inside the RW folder within AppData folder before installing 253 and it took care of the issue. Thanks guys.

Merion March 30th, 2020 12:18 AM

I'm having the same error now.

This whole import-export thing is a huge nightmare! Wasn't 255 supposed to fix those errors?

Anyway, I take it that 253 is the version number to have? What's with the crashes 254 are supposed to fix? I just have to live with them as an inconvenience?

Acenoid March 30th, 2020 02:45 AM

ppl should have tried hout the whole import export things when they still were in live development :(

Hope they still wake up from their hiatus. It's sad to see a nice idea slowly wither away...

kbs666 March 30th, 2020 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acenoid (Post 287415)
ppl should have tried hout the whole import export things when they still were in live development :(

Hope they still wake up from their hiatus. It's sad to see a nice idea slowly wither away...

People did, Josh, GTHiel and I reported plenty of import/export issues to LWD 2 years ago when we were all working on Nibirum.

I'm sure you know how much response we got.

nightpanda2810 March 30th, 2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion (Post 287414)
I'm having the same error now.

This whole import-export thing is a huge nightmare! Wasn't 255 supposed to fix those errors?

Anyway, I take it that 253 is the version number to have? What's with the crashes 254 are supposed to fix? I just have to live with them as an inconvenience?

Only issues I've had with 253 so far is the annoying there's an upgrade popup, and self-inflicted importing issues.

Merion March 30th, 2020 11:53 AM

Thanks, I re-installed 253 and it's working so far.

Acenoid April 26th, 2020 07:48 AM

So is there any way, when I have a 254 build and no server access, to go back to 253? I have made plenty of changes on 254, but it seems that the import / export works better on the older version?

The 254 build fixed 2 issues:
1. Corresponding pins / node targets missing on smart images - could be very annoying potentially
2. import structure export, replacing structure elements - Iam not sure of the implications and if this can be worked around somehow in 253?

Acenoid April 29th, 2020 05:16 PM

Iam on 254 currently, and trying to import data into a realm.
Like the OP I first imported the full export of another realm.
After doing a few changes (moving categories around) some topics were corrupt and I attempted a partial export of another realm, which ends in the error OP described.

The major issue I have now is, that I cannot revert to 253 since my DB is now on the newer version. ...

Anyone found another solution how to revert to 253 if all available databases are already on 254?

JustinThomason May 1st, 2020 11:54 AM

I had to delete my local DB, install 253, and then do a full sync down from the LW server. Worked fine - just took some time. Just make sure you're fully up to date with your syncing before doing any of this.

Acenoid May 1st, 2020 04:00 PM

I cannot do that. Server subscription expired and it is not up to date since may last year. I have some backups theoretically which should be on 253 but I have made many changes since then, since 254 worked fine.

Or do you mean if I would get server synch enabled again (not possible atm - I had no need for a credit card for more than a year) sync up, downgrade to 253, and then sync down again?

Acenoid May 4th, 2020 12:44 PM

By importing the data to anohter realm and then import again to the original destination, it is possible to add further topics. However I had some duplicate categories, so it is not only an emergency workaround. Maybe it still works with preserve ownership, not sure.

Let's hope LWD finds some time to revise this import / export situation in the future.

It would be super cool if the application would just abort the import if a problem arises instead of crashing with the error.

Farling May 4th, 2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acenoid (Post 288337)
By importing the data to anohter realm and then import again to the original destination, it is possible to add further topics.

This is usually the route to disaster, export and import should only be used one-way between realms.

Acenoid May 5th, 2020 01:18 AM

To clear up the instructions:

originating Realm A
target: B

1st Import A->B works
2dn (partial) Import A->B crashes

workaround for 2nd import:
Import A-> C -> B

So the imports have the same direction.

nightpanda2810 May 17th, 2021 07:00 AM

256 released recently does NOT fix import/export issues referenced in this thread.

256 release also removed cloud access to 253, the only working version, making it basically completely useless if you do any kind of importing.

SteveT May 28th, 2021 06:38 PM

Hi everyone, rather than responding in all the various related threads related to the last few RW builds 253-256, I've opened a new thread which I intend to be a central place for me to respond to these issues and provide information:

https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=65964

An important note discussed in more detail in that thread is that we've now reduced the required build to access the server back down to 253 (with caveats). Also, if you experienced import/export issues in builds 255-256 that were not present in build 253, please take a look at the instructions there. Thank you!