Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - d20 System (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Bastard Sword, Exotic Only? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=7243)

CVB November 14th, 2007 08:28 AM

Bastard Sword, Exotic Only?

Okay, so here I got HL due to the wonderful promotion, but as I was making some characters to test it, I found that the Bastard Sword (Which is a Martial Weapon, IF used two handed, according to the SRD) was listed as Exotic Only.

Is there a way of changing it? Or maybe choosing how many hands to wield it with?

rob November 14th, 2007 04:36 PM

At 09:28 AM 11/14/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

Okay, so here I got HL due to the wonderful promotion, but as I was making some characters to test it, I found that the Bastard Sword (Which is a Martial Weapon, IF used two handed, according to the SRD) was listed as Exotic Only.

Is there a way of changing it? Or maybe choosing how many hands to wield it with?
Actually, the Bastard Sword should be working correctly already. When you add the weapon to the character, there's no way to know how you intend to wield it, so it defaults to an Exotic requirement (worst case). However, if you equip the weapon with two hands, it automatically changes to Martial behavior, and the weapon description and behavior changes accordingly.

If your character has the Martial Weapons proficiency, but not the Exotic, equipping the Bastard Sword with one hand confers the non-proficient penalty, but equipping it with two hands does not.

So all you need to do is make sure that you equip the weapon in both hands and you'll be good to go. :-)

rob November 14th, 2007 04:41 PM

At 09:28 AM 11/14/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

I just realized my last post didn't answer you fully....

First, you control how many hands are used for a weapon via the two boxes next to it in the weapons list. The "1st" indicates your primary hand and the "2nd" indicates your off-hand. To equip a weapon with both hands, just check BOTH boxes. At that point, the bastard sword changes to a martial weapon in behavior.

You can also change the behavior of anything you want using the Editor, as well as add your own custom material. After you get familiar with the product, you might want to take a look at using the Editor. And if you've got questions about how to add material, don't hesitate to post them here.

CVB November 15th, 2007 11:45 AM

Well, so THAT'S how it works. A little counter-intuitive (for ME) but now I know.

Thanks.

Once I have my D20 house rules set, I'll probably look into how I can set up a separate system inside Hero Lab for characters.

I just need to play with this.

rob November 22nd, 2007 01:11 PM

At 12:45 PM 11/15/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

Well, so THAT'S how it works. A little counter-intuitive (for ME) but now I know.
How would you recommend we change it so that things are more intuitive? If you've got suggestions, we'd love to hear them. Anything we can do to improve the product is great by us!!

CVB December 2nd, 2007 01:23 AM

Re: Bastard Sword, Exotic Only?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob
How would you recommend we change it so that things are more intuitive? If you've got suggestions, we'd love to hear them. Anything we can do to improve the product is great by us!!

Well, the thing is to make it more understandable, it might be better to list it as two handed martial (As all fighter types, Pally, Barby, Fighter, Ranger can use it as such) and list that it can be used one handed if you have the Exotic proficiency.

You wouldn't have to change the fact that you need to click on both 'hand' boxes, but it would read better.

Code wise, I don't think you need to change it, it's the wording in the tooltip that needs correction.

At least that's my two cents.

Colen December 4th, 2007 04:53 PM

CVB wrote:
>
>
> *rob wrote:*
> How would you recommend we change it so that things are more intuitive?
> If you've got suggestions, we'd love to hear them. Anything we can do to
> improve the product is great by us!!
>
>
>
> Well, the thing is to make it more understandable, it might be better to
> list it as two handed martial (As all fighter types, Pally, Barby,
> Fighter, Ranger can use it as such) and list that it can be used one
> handed if you have the Exotic proficiency.
>
> You wouldn't have to change the fact that you need to click on both
> 'hand' boxes, but it would read better.
>
> Code wise, I don't think you need to change it, it's the wording in the
> tooltip that needs correction.
>
> At least that's my two cents.

Listing it as a "2-Hand" weapon would be innaccurate - that would imply
that it could only be used in 2 hands, which would mean that we'd have
to handle all sorts of special cases.

You're right that it's not done perfectly - I think a better approach
would be to have it "light up" if you're proficient with martial
weapons, but still apply the non-proficiency penalty if you're using it
one-handed without the Exotic proficiency.

I'll add this to the list. Thanks!

--
Colen McAlister, colen@wolflair.com
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development

kingpaul December 4th, 2007 08:59 PM

You could have 3 boxes: primary, off-hand, both hands.

CVB December 4th, 2007 10:54 PM

Re: Bastard Sword, Exotic Only?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colen
Listing it as a "2-Hand" weapon would be innaccurate - that would imply that it could only be used in 2 hands, which would mean that we'd have to handle all sorts of special cases.

I'll add this to the list. Thanks!

--

Ah, but here's the thing, technically, UNLESS you have the Exotic Weapons proficiency feat, it can only be used with two hands, otherwise you get the -4 penalty.

That's my argument.

However, what you do, as long as it clears up the confusion, I'm good.

Colen December 5th, 2007 11:52 AM

kingpaul wrote:
>
>
> You could have 3 boxes: primary, off-hand, both hands.

I think the current model works fine for that - primary hand, off-hand,
and if you want to wield it in both you check both boxes.

--