Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - d20 System (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Spellcasting attribute (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=6831)

Enarion April 1st, 2007 12:58 PM

Spellcasting attribute

Hi,

Just wondering about where to specify which attribute a custom class uses for spellcasting. Some use INT others use WIS or CHA, and since the value of these affect how powerful a spell you can cast or if you get bonus spells and so on... I find it important to know how to change this attribute.

I have looked in the spellcasting class tutorial, but I can't find an answer there, it just use the sorcerer template for the battlemage so I suppose the battlemage also uses CHA as its casting attribute.

But say I would like to create the new spellcasting class Treehugger who use DEX, just for the sake of argument... how do I do that?

DannyBoy2k April 1st, 2007 02:47 PM

Suck. Du hade inte kunnat vänta till i morgon? :)

Class Helpers, make a linkage which has the linkage 'spellattr' and the Thing 'aINT' or 'aWIS' or whatever else attribute you want to use.

Enarion April 2nd, 2007 02:49 AM

Thanks, Daniel.

To bad this does not make it easier to create a spellcaster. I know now how to change attribute. I'll post another question later if I don't delete HL from my system due to all other problems, and you know them all :(

Colen April 2nd, 2007 04:35 PM

Spellcasting attribute

Enarion wrote:
>
>
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering about where to specify which attribute a custom class
> uses for spellcasting. Some use INT others use WIS or CHA, and since the
> value of these affect how powerful a spell you can cast or if you get
> bonus spells and so on... I find it important to know how to change this
> attribute.
>
> I have looked in the spellcasting class tutorial, but I can't find an
> answer there, it just use the sorcerer template for the battlemage so I
> suppose the battlemage also uses CHA as its casting attribute.
>
> But say I would like to create the new spellcasting class Treehugger who
> use DEX, just for the sake of argument... how do I do that?

You can specify any attribute for a class to drive spells from. If
you've been following the Battlemage tutorial, go to the Class Helpers
tab in the editor and select the Battlemage. Click the linkage button
and one linkage is shown that selects the attribute - although this is
"aCHA" by default, meaning Charisma, you can change it to aDEX for
dexterity or even aSTR to use Strength. We'll be streamlining this a
little in a future update.

Hope this helps,

--
Colen McAlister (colen@wolflair.com)
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
http://www.wolflair.com/

kingpaul April 3rd, 2007 01:57 AM

Can HL support classes that have multiple spell casting attributes? There are 3rd party d20 classes that have dual spell progressions...as in a Wizard's and a Druid's spell list.

rob April 4th, 2007 09:02 PM

Spellcasting attribute

At 02:57 AM 4/3/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

Can HL support classes that have multiple spell casting attributes? There are 3rd party d20 classes that have dual spell progressions...as in a Wizard's and a Druid's spell list.
We didn't see that done in any of the D&D supplements we've reviewed (99% of WotC material and a smattering of non-WotC material). So we kept things simpler by having just a single pool of spell-related material for a given class, allowing it to be purposed towards whatever spells the user chose. Therefore, we do not support dual spell progressions within a single class at the present time. If it's needed, we can definitely add the capability, but it's not currently present.

-Rob

kingpaul April 5th, 2007 02:31 PM

What about the Wheel of Time (yes, I know its not OGC) magic set up? Two different stats affecting a single casting?

Or what about in Testament (by Green Ronin). The Psalmist class has bonus spells and casting level based on Wis, but DC based on Cha.

DannyBoy2k April 5th, 2007 02:46 PM

My instant reaction? All in due time. Get the magic to WORK first. The which, as I understand it, is done. Then, work on WotC-material. THEN 3rd-party. As always, I don't presume to tell WL how to do their work, but popping back and forth between things would, I would assume, mean that a lot of things ALMOST work, and none REALLY work.

rob April 6th, 2007 03:07 AM

Spellcasting attribute

At 03:31 PM 4/5/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

What about the Wheel of Time (yes, I know its not OGC) magic set up? Two different stats affecting a single casting?

Or what about in Testament (by Green Ronin). The Psalmist class has bonus spells and casting level based on Wis, but DC based on Cha.
The engine can do all of this with ease. The d20 data files are not currently setup for this in an effort to make things easier for data file writing. But the data files can be pretty smoothly adapted to accommodate these behaviors.

However, given this material is not stuff that is used widely, it will go on the todo list and be integrated down the line a little bit.

rob April 6th, 2007 03:28 AM

Spellcasting attribute

At 03:46 PM 4/5/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

My instant reaction? All in due time. Get the magic to WORK first. The which, as I understand it, is done. Then, work on WotC-material. THEN 3rd-party. As always, I don't presume to tell WL how to do their work, but popping back and forth between things would, I would assume, mean that a lot of things ALMOST work, and none REALLY work.
That's a pretty good assessment of things. :->