Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Rifts for Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55700)

asvaldson March 4th, 2017 10:10 AM

Just commenting so I can subscribe to the thread so I know when the dataset is going to be available :)

Paragon March 5th, 2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asvaldson (Post 245561)
Just commenting so I can subscribe to the thread so I know when the dataset is going to be available :)

Just so you know, you don't need to comment to subscribe; the "Thread Tools" pulldown will let you do that, too.

asvaldson March 7th, 2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon (Post 245677)
Just so you know, you don't need to comment to subscribe; the "Thread Tools" pulldown will let you do that, too.

Oh.. oops? lol thanks for letting me know Paragon. Makes things easier.

Paragon March 7th, 2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asvaldson (Post 245769)
Oh.. oops? lol thanks for letting me know Paragon. Makes things easier.

I used to do the same thing. :)

Kidweb March 8th, 2017 06:29 PM

I appreciate all the hard work everyone has done to make Herolab such a success. The community is awesome and I look forward to the Rift files when they become available.

Just wish I knew programming so I could help.

asvaldson April 3rd, 2017 03:27 PM

Just wondering if anyone has heard from TCKnight? I know this is on his time, I'm just wondering if he has had to drop the project.

xador April 5th, 2017 05:02 AM

I haven't seen a post from him since January. I hope he is doing ok and just busy with the Real World.

TCArknight April 11th, 2017 05:26 AM

Yep, still working slowly but surely...

Considering setting up something like github to share the work and speed things up. Anyone be interested in that?

Gelfarin April 11th, 2017 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 247858)
Yep, still working slowly but surely...

Considering setting up something like github to share the work and speed things up. Anyone be interested in that?

I'm not sure what that is, but I'd be happy to try and help where I can.

zarlor April 11th, 2017 07:07 AM

Github (https://github.com/) is a way to perform collaborative work and handle change management, heavily used by folks working on code development especially (but it can be used for virtually anything collaborative, really). That might be a pretty good idea to try for something like that, actually.

xador April 11th, 2017 05:55 PM

Github sounds great idea to group effort it. Glad to see you're good!

mando501 April 21st, 2017 06:16 AM

I'm down for a GitHub collaborative effort. I'm new to custom data for HL, but I'm passionate about Savage Rifts and would love to contribute in any way I can.

Legendary Teeth April 24th, 2017 06:16 PM

I am about to start doing this myself for my own campaign, so if there is already a community effort started I'd much prefer just contributing to that on GH. If that is getting set up please let me know and I will be happy to help.

salcor April 25th, 2017 06:54 AM

I was wondering, do the tailored spell lists require a level of coding or is there a way to do it already built into Herolab, perhaps from pathfinder or DnD?

Salcor

Paragon April 25th, 2017 07:03 AM

Usually the way that's done is to do separate Arcane Backgrounds and then limit those to a subset of powers. There's built in functionality to do that.

salcor April 25th, 2017 07:23 AM

Thanks for the info.

Salcor

Legendary Teeth April 27th, 2017 04:45 PM

If it's not on Github yet does someone have a copy of the files they could send me directly? I am raring to go get Savage Rifts set up in Herolab and I don't want to duplicate effort.

TCArknight April 27th, 2017 05:37 PM

I think I set this up right.....

https://github.com/TCArknight/Savage-Rifts

The Rifts.dat should be Rifts.user, but for some reason I couldn't get a *.user file to show up for commit..

Thomas

salcor April 29th, 2017 08:23 AM

So I am looking at the Rifts Data file and hit an issue beyond my knowledge. When I attempt to compile the data file it gives me an error associated with the Breed Advantage Racial ability. It say the eval script points to hero.child[resRacEdge] that does not exist. I am not even sure what resRacEdge is.

Salcor

TCArknight April 29th, 2017 09:33 AM

That's in the savrifts_resource.dat file. Grab a copy of all four files if you haven't and it should be ok. :)

salcor April 29th, 2017 10:43 AM

Do those 2 files need changed to .user files? Or is .dat an appropriate file extension?

TCArknight April 29th, 2017 12:06 PM

.dat is fine, especially for the tab one...

salcor April 30th, 2017 03:26 AM

Cool, thanks. So any thought on where you want to nest the Iconic Framework abilities? I guess edges would probably work, although they could be racial abilities as well. If they are edges then the baseline edges would have to be hidden from the user.

Salcor

zarlor April 30th, 2017 03:50 AM

TCArknight, you might want to put together some kind of readme or quick guide for folks to work from on how to use github and potentially git itself to work on this. Like maybe setting up branches for specific sections of the work or such. This guide for github might help (https://guides.github.com/activities...-world/#branch). Maybe something like Git for WIndows (https://git-for-windows.github.io/) or other of the Git tools (https://git-scm.com/) would be helpful for some folks as well.

Then it's a question of coordinating your collaboration, which you could either do here or potentially on github to figure out who might be working on what as well as what needs to be worked on. I would think you might be on the right track for now with separate .user/.dat files for specific sections folks might be working on but it would probably be helpful for folks to know where things stand to get an idea on where to continue the work. Once it's ready for primetime presumably it would be best to consolidate it all back into a single .1st and .user file if it's going to be published through the standard update mechanism, anyway. Personally, as a user of HL, I find the one setting that is a tad annoying to work with is the older Hellfrost files because they aren't consolidated into a single file. That could just be me, though. Certainly for collaboration purposes I would guess breaking them out like that is probably a lot easier.

I really look forward to seeing how that works out. I may have to see how that works for you and maybe look at doing that for some newer setting files whenever I can get back to working on some. I know WWI needs to be done and The Goon and Fear Agent are on the horizon now too...

GunbunnyFuFu May 8th, 2017 03:51 PM

Is there a way to over ride requirements? For example, Power Armor Jock requires Agility, Strength, and Vigor of d6+, however, Glitter Boy pilots get the advantage for free, regardless of requirements (or at least that is what I'm lead to believe).

GB

Paragon May 8th, 2017 09:06 PM

I believe a Bootstrap will do that, but I'm not sure. There's some code in the Super-Power Companion for allowing Super Edges that ignores that stuff; if the bootstrap doesn't work (or more likely, works but throws an error) I check and see what was done there.

CapedCrusader May 9th, 2017 12:21 PM

There are two tags you can use for this.
Helper.IgnoreRank should disable Rank checks.
thing.skipprereq should disable all Prereq checks.

TCArknight May 10th, 2017 07:59 AM

Thanks CC, that will be a big help for a few other things too.

Another thing I think I want to do, is I've been splitting the racial abilities between abilities and properties, but now I understand that really they should all be properties. So, will be doing a slight rework there.

salcor May 10th, 2017 09:07 AM

TCAknight,

How where you planning on setting up the iconic framework sbilities? Where you going to use edges or racial abilities?

Salcor

TCArknight May 12th, 2017 07:16 AM

I think going with Racial abilities in a separate file for now, but I may try to create a new component and tab for them.

CapedCrusader May 19th, 2017 03:44 PM

OK, folks, it looks like they want to make this an Official Setting file, like Deadlands and the others. That means full distribution through Hero Lab when it's ready. It also means that I'll need to review the completed file before release. Knight, I'll get you a copy of the specifications for naming and such.
Here's the good part. This means if we need to make changes in the Hero Lab code to support this, we can. So, this is official clearance to find way to support multiple Arcane Backgrounds.
What else has been tough to fit?

dartnet May 19th, 2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader (Post 250240)
What else has been tough to fit?

Oh thank Zeus,

This project was a nightmare and a half here is just a few of the items I had issues with.

Heroic Journey tables there like edges but not drove me up 5 types of walls. They need to be there own thing. An easy way to add 2 generic Knowledge skills at d8. Iconic Frameworks are like races only not.

IM me for some ideas for fixing these.

Thanks,

CapedCrusader May 19th, 2017 08:25 PM

Why would Groups or Factions not work for Iconic Framework?

CapedCrusader May 19th, 2017 08:36 PM

How are they not like Edges (Heroic Journey tables)?

CapedCrusader May 19th, 2017 08:37 PM

I've never played Rifts, this is all new to me.

CapedCrusader May 19th, 2017 09:03 PM

OK, who is the contact for this? Dartnet, are you the one working on it currently? For some reason, I had thought it was TCArknight.

zarlor May 20th, 2017 03:14 AM

According to this thread Dartnet had to hand over the primary reigns to TCArknight who has consolidated the work being done and started a Git to coordinate the work over at: https://github.com/TCArknight/Savage-Rifts, if that helps.

CapedCrusader May 20th, 2017 11:02 AM

OK, it's even more than I thought.
They are looking to go full Companion book level on this one.
That means I take it over and we do a full-blown write-up, with full integrated support. That means that Iconic Frameworks should have their own thing, and we'll fully build out the Journey tables.

zarlor May 20th, 2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader (Post 250285)
OK, it's even more than I thought.
They are looking to go full Companion book level on this one.
That means I take it over and we do a full-blown write-up, with full integrated support. That means that Iconic Frameworks should have their own thing, and we'll fully build out the Journey tables.

Considering the popularity of this particular setting, and the fact that it's bringing a ton of fans of the old Rifts system to newly find out about Savage Worlds, that's probably not a bad idea. I've yet to even look through my Rifts books yet (I did back it, though) but I'm certainly looking forward to what having the "big guns" work on this will bring out in the way of new stuff for us. Where will it slot in, though? I know you've been working on Interface Zero 2.0 and the Deadlands: Reloaded update. Would this be before, between or after those? Just curious if you happen to know what the plans are for it.

salcor May 20th, 2017 05:09 PM

Hmm interesting. Did I miss an announcement somewhere? It is awesome that this is officially coming out!

Salcor