Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   [Shameless Self Promotion] Realm Works Stuff on DrivethruRPG (and Patreon) (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=64063)

Merion April 4th, 2020 03:38 PM

I'm glad you like it! :)

Yes, the bloody problem with the 253 and 255 versions. I think I'll add just both and put a note in.

I am german, indeed. But I create most topic in english these days and translate back on the fly while running my games. Some stuff I do have in german, but these are my personal notes which are immensly less verbose and polished than the english ones. Usually just a bullet points.
I'll think about a german version, but it will double parts of the work and I'm not sure if there's anough demand. My next map will be a little village, maybe I test it there.

Bloodwolf April 7th, 2020 08:22 AM

You mind some questions about Drivethru and Patreon?

Merion April 7th, 2020 09:30 AM

Of course not, go ahead!

Bloodwolf April 8th, 2020 05:02 AM

How does copyright work with them?

So I have re-worked old adventures and made them 3.5, i.e. I brought the original Temple of Elemental Evil up to 3.5, can you even put them on Drive-thru? Or would I have to put it on Patreon and hope people donate?

For another example, I have created several adventures around an old Goodman Games adventure making it a 6 party series instead of a one off. What would I do with the original adventure and my own creations that use elements from that adventure?

Thanks

Farling April 8th, 2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwolf (Post 287653)

So I have re-worked old adventures and made them 3.5, i.e. I brought the original Temple of Elemental Evil up to 3.5, can you even put them on Drive-thru? Or would I have to put it on Patreon and hope people donate?

For another example, I have created several adventures around an old Goodman Games adventure making it a 6 party series instead of a one off. What would I do with the original adventure and my own creations that use elements from that adventure?

Thanks

I'm fairly sure that reworking somebody else's work is still covered by their copyright.

Merion April 8th, 2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 287657)
I'm fairly sure that reworking somebody else's work is still covered by their copyright.

Phew, that really is more of a law question than platform depended. And of those I know little. Personally, I tend to stay clear of things like that and try to make sure that everything I use that I do not create myself is public domain or under a similar license that allow commercial use.

But I would assume the same as Farling, that you could get in trouble for trying to sell adapted material without consent of the copyright holder.

And by the way, I do have a new item up for sale: Thosch, mainly a village map with minimal lore added.

Parody April 8th, 2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

How does copyright work with them? ...

The term that most likely describes what you're doing is a "derivative work". The safest assumption is that distribution of a derivative work without permission of the original's copyright holder is a violation under US copyright law.

As always, you should talk to your lawyer for actual legal advice before proceeding; we're just random people on the Internet. :)

kbs666 April 8th, 2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Those would be derivatives and almost certainly violate copyright. The title might even be trademarked.

Patreon specifically forbids that.

Bloodwolf April 9th, 2020 06:06 AM

OK. So would have to give them away.

So on maybe a more platform based question, I've not messed with either and was wondering the kind of basics on both. How would you say they work?

kbs666 April 9th, 2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwolf (Post 287685)
OK. So would have to give them away.

So on maybe a more platform based question, I've not messed with either and was wondering the kind of basics on both. How would you say they work?

No idea about DTRPG.

Patreon works pretty simply. You have some work you think people will support. Get an idea for your costs, how you'll release that work (including how frequently), What of it you're willing to give away and what you want to gate to one or more monthly support levels. Then you just create an account, design your page, there is a designer. Then advertise it/your work.

I strongly suggest you have at least some examples available for free at launch. Frequent posts are better than not posting. Showing off works in progress etc. helps greatly.

If you aren't a patron of anyone you might want to do that to see how other creators do things.