Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Opening two Realms simultaneously? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60153)

goatunit February 10th, 2018 09:07 AM

Opening two Realms simultaneously?

Is it possible to open two realms simultaneously, either via the Realmworks client or some other means? Obviously I could use two separate devices, but that's a bit of a hassle.

kbs666 February 11th, 2018 06:27 AM

Not in the RW client. You could export the realms convert them to web pages and view them that way.

Why do you need to do this? There might be a more satisfactory solution.

Valyar February 11th, 2018 07:42 AM

I have a use case for that:

1. Playing adventure for Dark Heresy 1 ruleset
2. Using the Dark Heresy 2 ruleset.

Some of the adventure's content is better to stay separated. There is duplication of 95% of the system when it comes to name of skills/talents/etc, but things work differently. Keeping the contents separated is preferable.

As we can't open two instances at the same time due to the login (and probably because of database locks and etc), the usefulness of the application in such cases is close to none. But i guess this is too custom case to consider as hot feature request...

kbs666 February 11th, 2018 08:02 AM

Create a realm with the adventure and the DH2 rules. Just export the adventure stuff and the rules stuff from the existing realms and import them into a new realm. Storage is cheap.

Farling February 11th, 2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 262905)
Create a realm with the adventure and the DH2 rules. Just export the adventure stuff and the rules stuff from the existing realms and import them into a new realm. Storage is cheap.

Yes, copying the adventure into another realm also means you can update all the stats to the new rules version before the game session.

Acenoid February 11th, 2018 02:14 PM

basically you might need even a 3rd realm if you want to keep your dh2 rules in a pristine state after your dh1 "import" adventure? not sure :)

daplunk February 11th, 2018 05:47 PM

Realm Works can only be opened once. All the config files like database are set to a specific file so you cannot run two instances as it would break... well everything.

You can also only have one account per Windows Account.

Valyar February 16th, 2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 262905)

Still can’t open RW twice to have two separate realms simultaneously.

Farling February 16th, 2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyar (Post 263121)
Still can’t open RW twice to have two separate realms simultaneously.

Open Realm 1
Export the realm to a file
Close Realm 1

Open Realm 2
Export the realm to a file
Close Realm 2

Create Realm 3
Import the file containing the export from realm 1
Import the file containing the export from realm 2
Run the adventure from Realm 3

If you want to add new rules:
Open realm 1
Make changes to the realm
Export the realm
Close realm 1

Open Realm 3
Re-import the file containing the new export from realm 1
Run the adventure from Realm 3 that now has the updated rules.

Valyar February 16th, 2018 11:33 AM

Ah, I got your point now. Definitely a viable workaround! Thanks!

I hope when we get the next version there will be features as multi realm opening and detachable tabs...