Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Possible to add configuration option for additional feat growth? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=67654)

Gozuja February 24th, 2023 11:41 AM

Possible to add configuration option for additional feat growth?

I'm tinkering with things for Hero Lab data packages for Pathfinder and something I'd like to be able to do, if possible, is create a hero config setting that enables an additional 'track' of feats alongside character levels for a specific type of feat.

So e.g. if I want to give any hero with the setting enabled a bonus feat that can only be spent on a Teamwork feat every other level, or a feat that can only be spent on a Craft feat -- and ideally have it so that as long as a hero is configured for it there's no need for a manual Feats Allowed adjust tab entry or the like.

Is this functionally possible, or beyond the cope of what can be done with the editor?

Mathias February 24th, 2023 11:45 AM

Create a "Configurable" that offers the feat list, then create a "Mechanic" pick that bootstraps it, and has the source of your config setting.

Gozuja February 24th, 2023 12:48 PM

Hmm -- so I made a configurable that I did a new (copy) off of bonus feats with, and set it for a category of feats (Teamwork) and set it to my data package source.

Then I made a mechanic using new (copy) off of feat mechanics as a base, that included that configurable as a bootstrap and the same data package source. Basically to be a second copy of the default feat progression -- so I left it at 20 feat table entries and 0.5 Feat progression.

After compiling it seems to have had no effect though; no additional setting in a hero config, and with the data package enabled no impact on the number of feats a character receives.

Mathias February 24th, 2023 01:04 PM

Don't copy another mechanic - copying the bonus feats mechanic will bring a lot of behaviors you do not want. You want a clean mechanic for this purpose. I'd also be leery about copying another configurable, since the task you're trying to do is very simple and you might bring in things you don't want.

Give me more detail about your configurable - what settings are in use?

Also, test now isn't able to handle Mechanics - you need a full reload of the game system (Develop menu...Enable Data File Debugging, to enable the options in that menu, and then use the "Quick Reload Data Files" option).

Gozuja February 24th, 2023 01:27 PM

It's my first foray into configurables or mechanics, so I was just trying to reference what I thought would be a comparable item -- but I've gone and worked from blank ones now.

So far, I set the configurable to pick a category (Teamwork) under Bonus Feats Allowed and gave a source of my data file.

I set up a blank Mechanics entry with a Bootstrap picking the configurable I made, 0.5 feat progression and source of the same data file.

Mathias February 24th, 2023 01:39 PM

What does "0.5 feat progression" mean? I'm not familiar with any controls named anything like that.

The following code is put into an Eval Script on the configurable. The Eval Script button is among the blue buttons at the top right of the editor tab.

Code:

field[cfgMaxF1].value += round(#totallevelcount[]/2,0,-1)
The settings at the top of the eval script:
Phase: Post-Levels
Priority: 10000
Index: 1

That will give you a feat on this configurable every even level.

Gozuja February 24th, 2023 04:26 PM

Ah ha! Thank you. Inadvertently this wound up making a separate tab for just these feats which is probably fine, though I'm curious if it's possible to get them to just add to the regular feats tab.

Mathias February 24th, 2023 04:31 PM

That's how configurables work - they're new tabs.

You can't add it to the original feat tab unless you're just adding feat slots to the regular feat list, and I believe you wanted to limit these bonus feats to only choosing teamwork feats, and if you just added choices to the main list, you'd need to count the teamwork feats and verify that the user had taken enough. Also, the narrowed-down list, showing just the teamwork feats, helps the user sort through the list and find the right one for their character, instead of sorting through the entire feat list (since there are several other feats with the word "teamwork" in their description that aren't in the teamwork category, so a filter wouldn't do a complete job).

Gozuja February 24th, 2023 05:45 PM

Fair point! I appreciate the help! I've got it generally working, adjusted to make it one every three levels instead of every two -- I wanted to also give one at first level though and just did a 1+ before the formula, which works but also gives a feat even if a character doesn't have any class levels yet (which is not a huge deal, just not 'clean'.)

A few quick odds and ends as I'm trying to puzzle my way through setting up feats and the like, but I can't seem to discern how to:

-Make a general total character level a feat prereq
-Make an either/or option for a feat prereq
-Make skill ranks a feat prereq
-Make having a tally of a category of feat a prereq (e.g. 3 Teamwork feats)
-Make breakpoints of sneak attack dice a prereq, or other class features

But otherwise I'm making solid headway.

Gozuja February 26th, 2023 11:45 AM

Figured out the total character level, skill rank, category tally and sneak attack die / other class feature prereqs. It doesn't look like there are 'ability to cast x y z' prereq functions, at least not after checking some existing feats with such requirements as examples.

If I want to include die-counts or uses per day that scale off the higher of two different attributes, how would an expression like that be formed?

Is it possible to, similar to the bonus feat setup above for Teamwork feats, do something comparable for an existing / custom category of Trait? E.g. if I want to grant a bonus Campaign trait automatically when the data package is enabled in addition to the default two trait picks?