Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Will spells ever be added to statblocks? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=62039)

AEIOU January 27th, 2019 02:26 PM

Will spells ever be added to statblocks?

I know this has come up several times since 5e was released. It's frustrating that memorized spells still do not print out in statblocks. Will this ever be changed?

Rone January 28th, 2019 08:28 AM

Here's the thing, while I can see how adding memorized spells to a printout might offer greater usability, our goal here is to match the official statblocks for 5e.

Do you have any examples in official books you can point us to of characters with memorized spells in their statblocks? If so, they'd represent an official guideline as to what a statblock should include and how to format it and then we'd know how to display this information.

Let us know! :)

Enforcer84 January 28th, 2019 01:44 PM

Page 147 of VOlo's Guide to Monsters has a Cloud Giant spell caster stat block if I'm not mistaken.

dungeonguru January 29th, 2019 05:25 AM

NPC statblocks already contain spells if they are entered - the community Cloud Giant Smiling One (at least the .stock file version) has its spells in the statblock.

I believe AEIOU is asking about PC spellcasting classes getting the same treatment.

None of the printed material that I have (which isn't everything) has a PC statblock example to go by, even the handout "PCs" in Storm King's Thunder have been reduced to NPC statblocks rather than a full character statblock, although they could be used as a starting point for a visual reference.

Enforcer84 January 29th, 2019 08:49 AM

Oh Gotcha, thought that was too easy :D

RavenX February 1st, 2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rone (Post 275336)
Here's the thing, while I can see how adding memorized spells to a printout might offer greater usability, our goal here is to match the official statblocks for 5e.

Do you have any examples in official books you can point us to of characters with memorized spells in their statblocks? If so, they'd represent an official guideline as to what a statblock should include and how to format it and then we'd know how to display this information.

Let us know! :)

Is this not already included in the statblock output? The formatting is in the statblocks listed as the Spellcasting ability on spellcasters. Hero lab should be able to list this in the same format as it is listed in the Monster entries, if its not already included.

If the user is asking for a full text printout, they should be able to do that by printing out the spellbook directly if I am not mistaken under dossiers in print hero?