Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Global Edit Mode/Edit on View (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48593)

Parody March 14th, 2014 02:04 PM

Global Edit Mode/Edit on View

So when you're busy adding, updating, and tweaking a bunch of topics it can be annoying to constantly click the Edit button/hit Ctrl-E to enable and reenable Editing.

It would be great if there was a setting (perhaps a toolbar...err...ribbon toggle button) that automatically turned on Edit when you navigate to a new item or made Editing always enabled.

Silveras March 14th, 2014 04:45 PM

There are a number of other methods already. Here are two I can think of immediately:

1) If you click on the tools icon next to a Snippet and choose "Add Snippet Below" or "Add Snippet Above", when you add the snippet, the whole topic enters edit mode automatically.

2) Double-clicking in a snippet enters edit mode immediately.

Kendall-DM March 15th, 2014 09:19 AM

Another thing of note, originally RW was always in Edit mode. It was a far worse development experience than you might expect. That is why things are not in Edit mode unless you tell it to be so. Believe me, it wasn't a better option, it's far better the way it is now.

Parody March 17th, 2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveras (Post 177734)
1) If you click on the tools icon next to a Snippet and choose "Add Snippet Below" or "Add Snippet Above", when you add the snippet, the whole topic enters edit mode automatically.

I have yet to use this feature, but that is what I would expect. (When you create something, you can actually create it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveras (Post 177734)
2) Double-clicking in a snippet enters edit mode immediately.

That I didn't know. It's helpful but hidden and overlapping UI. (Ex: I double-click on a word to select it and the entry goes into edit mode and deselects the text?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall-DM (Post 177763)
Another thing of note, originally RW was always in Edit mode. It was a far worse development experience than you might expect. That is why things are not in Edit mode unless you tell it to be so. Believe me, it wasn't a better option, it's far better the way it is now.

What were the issues involved? I can't find any forum threads about it, but I haven't done an exhaustive search.

It seems weird to me for Realm Works to not be able to act like every other content creation application I have and let you edit without further user action. This includes DB apps I've made in Access and (way back when) FileMaker Pro. I can understand wanting to have a browsing mode, but I'd like to have an editing mode too.