Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   C++Exception Error (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=54055)

meek75 October 13th, 2015 05:41 AM

C++Exception Error

OK, I just tried to update and got an error report when trying to launch RW.

C++Exception:Invalid Character within name at line 329 in file utility.cpp

Is this a new error that I am the only one lucky enough to get, or are other seeing it? At this point I can't open RW at all.

MNBlockHead October 13th, 2015 07:18 AM

If you haven't already, be sure to file a bug report here:

www.wolflair.com/realmworks/report-bug/

I'm sure the RW team is actively monitoring these forums after such a major update (they were up late last night responding to posts and even got a quick update out to address some of the earliest bugs), but the bug report form is the official way to report bugs.

meek75 October 13th, 2015 07:19 AM

Thanks. I am thinking about doing a complete uninstall and trying again. I wish patience was a virtue I had in greater quantity.

MNBlockHead October 13th, 2015 07:39 AM

I hear you. I'm unable to put off updating, even if I have a game in the next few hours. After some bad surprises, I've gotten into the habit of making complete image of my PC to an external HD before upgrading. I use ShadowCopy, but there are built in tools in Windows and free third party tools for this, I just find ShadowCopy to be quick and easy (Acronis is also very good).

This way, I can fiddle with my computer as much as I want and if things get FUBARed or if I just encounter an issue I don't have time to deal with, I can restore to the prior state easily and fairly quickly.

Even then, I use an online backup utility (SpiderOak) and include all my *.Realm backup files in the backup.

What can I say, I'm a belt, suspenders, and elastic waistband kinda guy.

meek75 October 13th, 2015 08:54 AM

So, if I do a complete uninstall and re-install will that cause any problems I'm not considering?

Galdazan October 13th, 2015 09:03 AM

Same Error

I've been getting the same C++ error all morning. It's happening in a variety of situations, but usually when updating links. I did do a bug report- but this is frustrating...

meek75 October 13th, 2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galdazan (Post 217382)
I've been getting the same C++ error all morning. It's happening in a variety of situations, but usually when updating links. I did do a bug report- but this is frustrating...

Thanks for posting! I'm sorry for your problems, but its nice to know I'm not alone. I sent an email to Lone Wolf's support team, but have not heard from them yet. I'm sure they are swamped at the moment.

liz October 13th, 2015 09:50 AM

I'm going to post this in every thread where people have been reporting issues (so sorry for the repetition):

Thanks for posting issues that you're encountering here in the forums. If you're posting an issue in the forum, please make sure it is accompanied by either an email to support@wolflair.com or a Bug Report.

The team will be looking at all the reported issues today, and may post updates in the various threads. Thanks for your patience!

Farling October 13th, 2015 03:31 PM

I had the C++ error too, doing the "clear existing links and check for new ones" option. It looks like sometimes on removing the old links it is leaving behind some HTML tags.

meek75 October 14th, 2015 10:42 AM

Any update on this error? It feels like a small number of us have been effected. No one else on the forums seems to have lost all use of RW from this error and I'm a bit worried about how long I will not have any access to my realms. I have put a lot of data in there and need it to run my games. I understand that LW is very busy and I'm sure they are working diligently, but any idea of a timeframe would be helpful. If I need to cancel games or go start over on my planning I need to know soon.