Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Backing up and then importing user files (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=64727)

Aril September 3rd, 2020 01:16 PM

Backing up and then importing user files

I've done a bunch of editing on Hero Lab on my laptop, and I don't want to lose the data. However, it's dying, and I need to migrate the files to an installation on my desktop before the laptop kicks the bucket.

I can't figure out *where* the files that contain all the stuff I built in the Editor actually are located. How can I move them, so I don't lose that information?

Mathias September 3rd, 2020 01:50 PM

Within Hero Lab, choose Tools...Explore Folders...Game System Data Folder - that will open the file explorer to the right folder. The files created in the editor have the extension .user.

Aril September 3rd, 2020 08:30 PM

Deleted.

Aril September 3rd, 2020 08:45 PM

I've done some experimenting, and though the duplicate files appear in most cases to be the same, if I go into Hero Lab and try to open one of them, I get a message that says:

"Warning!

This file is not present in the folder for the active game system. You may view the contents of the file, but not modify it.".

When I go to the *second* file, I don't get that error.

Aril September 3rd, 2020 08:49 PM

The one file in which I've put the most stuff is one of the ones listed as not being in the directory.

So it appears I can't edit it?

Aril September 3rd, 2020 09:11 PM

Ok, so I've got the files moved over.

I've restarted Hero Lab, and it's not generating errors. It originally did, so I edited the problems it identified, and now it's loading correctly.

However, when I try to start Hero Lab and then create a character using the custom options from the files I just put in that folder, I can't find any of the options.

Looks like the files are there, but Hero Lab isn't using them? Have I left out a step?

Dami September 3rd, 2020 10:53 PM

Make sure that you put the files in the right game SYSTEM directory (eg: d20, Pathfinder) and when you open a character you might want to check Hero Options (Cnt-K) - you may need to set these again, since its a different computer.

Aril September 4th, 2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dami (Post 290631)
Make sure that you put the files in the right game SYSTEM directory (eg: d20, Pathfinder) and when you open a character you might want to check Hero Options (Cnt-K) - you may need to set these again, since its a different computer.

Thank you! That did it. I'd completely forgotten that I had identified each item I added by putting in the name of the book I got the rule from. I had to click on those books as sources, and as soon as I did, the stuff from my user files appeared.